speedster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the show, but, my latest schwinn build is gonna fit right in with the rest of the rats here.

I have a 3 speed coaster breeze that I love to ride, but, I'd really rather have a mens frame. So I bought a speedster off of ebay. It's going to be a mixture old schwinn parts I have and ride on 26" aluminum mountain bike rims with balloon tires.

speedster.jpg

Some parts, sturmey archer 3 speed coaster, large flange schwinn front hub, spokes, troxel seat, bars from a 40's schwinn world.

parts.jpg

And of course a cool shifter.

shifter.jpg

awesome! I've got an old speedster frame that I have been wanting to do something with. Good luck, cant wait to see what you come up with.

we don't see or have the chance to get a lot of
Schwinn Frames in Western Canada.

That frame is killer..I like the geometry of the top tube!

welcome to the build..
Only 23 more sleeps until the build deadline..
I do hope you make it ,
because I would love to see it finished,

peace,
Kev.

That's a sharp looking frame, the subtle curve in the top tube sets it apart from the more conventional 'diamond' frame. Nice selection of parts too (even the crate they're in is cool)

Colours? Or will it stay au natural' with the existing patina?

Regardless of wether or not you make the deadline, I'm sure there's more than a few of us here who want to see this one when it's done.

BTW - Clothespin "N" is right, Schwinns are rather hard to come by in Western Canada

-Mp

I'm going to leave the frame as is for now and make up for it by having highly polished bits and pieces.
Like the Ed Big Daddy Roth song sez, 'Iffen it don't go, chrome it'.

Speaking of polished, the front hub

fronthub.jpg

Behind the rest of schwinns in my garage there's a nether region where cameras refuse to focus. That's where my donor schwinn is

rest.jpg
focus.jpg

Crank with bearing cups, headset, seatpost, clamp, and the kickstand. All right there.

donor.jpg

Hey dude, i love that bike :) Good luck on the build.

I bought myself a few tools I've wanted for a while now.

Here's the my bike roughed out, less wheels on my new park tool stand.

stand.jpg

I also bought myself a truing stand, no more truing in the drop outs! I also treated myself to the dishing tool, spoke tension gauge and the schwinn kickstand tool

Props to Alfred E Bike, they are cheap! The truing stand was 50 dollars cheaper than my LBS, I paid very little for shipping and I got it really quick.

Time to build some wheels!

ts2.jpg

The speedster chain guard I got with this frame was the wrong one. This rusty old Racer guard fits.

racer.jpg

Polishing rusty old parts takes forever!
crown.jpg

clamp.jpg

I like the Speedster Frames. This should be a great bike to build and ride. The build should go nicely with the new tools. I am Jealous of the workstand. Can't talk my self into buying an expensive one. Prolly try to build one with some gigantic vice grips and a little welding.

Good luck

6 down 30 to go.

6down.jpg

pro tip: grease the threads on your pedals. Don't ask why, but someday your grandkids may thank you for it.

grease.jpg

pro tip: grease the threads on your pedals. Don't ask why, but someday your grandkids may thank you for it.

I do this with every part I know has to come off eventually. Otherwise you're pounding away, wrecking tools, grinding and buying new parts, like my new crank-set :)
Cool to have all those new tools! Good luck on your bike!

Larry,
That Water Proof White Grease is the BEST.
I use it on my Old Cars,Bikes, and everything else that moves. :lol: :lol:

great tip,
thanks

...and the build looks like it's moving along nice with the New Tools,
I was pricing out a new "Ultimate" stand.

The Tecq at my LBS seems to be stearing me from the "Park" to
"The Ultimate" because of it's stability and The Clamping system.

I look forward to seeing the bike finished,
peace,
Kev.

Clothespin "n" said:
...and the build looks like it's moving along nice with the New Tools,
I was pricing out a new "Ultimate" stand.

The Tecq at my LBS seems to be stearing me from the "Park" to
"The Ultimate" because of it's stability and The Clamping system.

I look forward to seeing the bike finished,
peace,
Kev.
Using a real stand beats the way I used to do it in the drop outs of an upside down bike. The wheels are done, they're super tight and spot on true. The wheels have to be perfect because I'm squeezing 2" tires into a lightweight frame. There's less than a 1/4" clearance between the tire and seat/chain stays & about and 1/8" clearance on the fork. The rear tire itself is a little out of round and is rubbing the seat stay in one spot. I need to get a half-link of chain from my LBS to get to the sweet spot in the drop outs.

My LBS has the TS-2 stand for $220. I got my stand from Alfred e Bike for 165 dollars. Shipping was very cheap and there wasn't ant tax. I like supporting my local bike shop, but not to the tune of 60 to 70 dollars.

I'm really happy I bought the stand. i wish I would have gotten it years ago. The dishing gauge is handy to have too. I also bought the tension meter, but I'm not geeky enough to read it correctly. At least I can see that I'm getting even tension throughout any given wheel.

Almost there.

almost.jpg

The master-link, half-link, and 2 links of rusty chain

masterlink.jpg

The little rubber nibs rub on both sides, front and rear.

nibs.jpg

Tight! I think I'm going to hammer in a little more clearance.

tight.jpg

Larry, I like those fats on the lightweight frame. Is that a coveted Schwinn shifter? Looks rightly at home.

Clancy

Latest posts

Back