Spoke Length Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am a cheapskate and trying to build some wheels on a budget. After running the numbers, I need 2 different spoke lengths for both wheels. They are tantalizingly close such that I want to split the difference. I can post more specific hub and rim dimensions if needed, but here is what I am planning to use:

700c 36 hole rims
Sturmey Archer drum front hub
S/A 2 speed kick rear hub
Laced 3x front and rear.

The front wheel's spokes spec out to 286mm. The rear at 290mm because of the smaller hub flange. Can I split the difference and use 288 mm spokes all around?

Funny thing is If I did 4x lacing, all of the spokes spec out to less than 1mm apart which would allow me to use the same length. I am not crazy about lacing 4x and the place I found that sells spokes in 100 count quantities doesn't stock that size. I'd end up spending more buying elsewhere.

freddyfingaz said:
http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator

Thanks, but I used that very tool to get my spoke lengths. My question is how critical is 2mm when I try to use 288 mm spokes in place of the called for 286s on the front wheel and 290s on the rear. The greater number of spoke crossings you use 2x to 3x to 4x reduces the disparity in calculated spoke length due to the greater tangential angle from the hub.

the_undecider said:
freddyfingaz said:
http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator

Thanks, but I used that very tool to get my spoke lengths. My question is how critical is 2mm when I try to use 288 mm spokes in place of the called for 286s on the front wheel and 290s on the rear. The greater number of spoke crossings you use 2x to 3x to 4x reduces the disparity in calculated spoke length due to the greater tangential angle from the hub.

I actually have same question. Hope we get our answer soon.

I'd guess that the 288's would work...worse case you would have to cut 2mm off on the front wheel if they turn out a little long.

mitchelangelo said:
I'd guess that the 288's would work...worse case you would have to cut 2mm off on the front wheel if they turn out a little long.

I am using double wall rims so that wont be an issue, but I was afraid of bottoming out on the end of the spoke threads before I reach enough tension. Where the 288s are 2mm short, I am afraid of having too little spoke thread engagement in the nipple.

you can wind em down pretty far on the threads.. till like a half inch sticks out the top. :oops:

I dont think bottoming out will be an issue.

the_undecider said:
I am using double wall rims so that wont be an issue, but I was afraid of bottoming out on the end of the spoke threads before I reach enough tension. Where the 288s are 2mm short, I am afraid of having too little spoke thread engagement in the nipple.

Some spokes are threaded further than others... and the new ones seem marginal. I did a set of wheels where the spokes were properly sized, and a great many did bottom out. You can force them further and the spoke will just flatten the threads of the softer nipple as it progresses into it. Not ideal. I don't think I would try it. Did you check Highship's free spokes?

dougfisk said:
the_undecider said:

Some spokes are threaded further than others... and the new ones seem marginal. I did a set of wheels where the spokes were properly sized, and a great many did bottom out. You can force them further and the spoke will just flatten the threads of the softer nipple as it progresses into it. Not ideal. I don't think I would try it. Did you check Highship's free spokes?

Didn't see those, but none are the sizes needed. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Latest posts

Back