spoke length Shimano 7r41?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have the numbers to plug into a calculator? Shimano has a nice chart here http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... nsions.pdf
But the 7R41 isn't on it. I'm guessing it's because it's an older hub. I've never built a wheel before so maybe this is a big mistake to learn with this hub. I'm hoping the folks at the bike co-op can point me in the right direction and maybe supervise me if I get some stand time. Have any of you built wheels with this hub? I'm thinking putting it on a 700c rim and sticking it in an old road bike frame. I may give up and sell the hub here as well, who knows.

I can't help with the measurements for that BUT, you can use a dividers compass to measure(then take it to a ruler/tape for the #'s) or Horror fright tools sells really cheap digital calipers for about $9. Hope that helps some and no I'm not trying to be a smart ___. Rim size and cross number will also factor into the spoke size. So no matter what, you will need to measure(Be it rim or hub. You'll have to unless you find the erd of the rim somewhere).

He is correct, you will need to measure the spoke centerline diameter of the hub, know how many crosses and the rim inner diameter. Plug all that into a spoke length calculator or formula.
Easy! Much easier than guessing!

I couldn't get the exact info for you, but i found this info on similar hubs:

Shimano Nexus 7 w/roller brake (sg-7r40)
-flange diameter 87mm left and right
-center-to-left-flange 31.2mm
-c-to-r-flange 23.5

Another Shimano 7speed with roller brake (sg-7r45)
-flange diameter 87mm l&r
-c-to-l-flange 29.2mm
-c-to-r-flange 25.4mm

So, you'll still need to measure, but at least these will give you ballpark figures so you can see if you're doing it properly. It's also easiest if you're using a rim with a known ERD, as I've never had much luck measuring that....But, center-to-flange and flange diameter measurements are super easy.

Thanks for your help but I think I'm gonna sell the hub. Watch for it in the for sale section

Latest posts

Back