Spokes on a 80mm rim are noisy how come?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everybody,

I recently bought a Basman medium and i fitted my 24" 80mm rims on it.
When I take a corner i hear the spokes in the rear wheel make noise.
Its like a tingeling kind of sound. What can i do and what is causing it?

Thanks a lot!
Arjan from Holland

You may need to make sure your spokes have proper tension or the spokes are just settling in. Is this a new wheel?

Try squeeze near each spoke crossing. They should feel similar if the tension is correct.

If tension seems fine the spokes may just be seating themselves in the rim. Try running a wrench/screwdriver between each spoke cross.

Either way read this about tension then follow down for seating/stress relieving. http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning

Could just be tension. Let your local bikeshop check it. What kinda hub did you use ?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

Loose spokes rubbing where they cross & touch. It doesn't take long for spoke heads to seat in the hub flange and the nipples to seat in the rims, both of which can cause spokes to loosen. But those cheap black Chinese spokes will probably start breaking when they get tightened up enough so plan on a future respoke with some name brand stainless steel spokes. Black spokes are just so weak. I've broken maybe 2 silver spokes in the past 40 years (not counting bike polo) but at least 1 in every wheel I own with black spokes.

I have a set of Shimano race wheels where they put tiny pieces of plastic at the spoke crossings.

Old time track racers would wrap the crosses with very thin wire. Like 10 wraps of 30g copper or steel wire. Some would follow up by soldering those wires. (or krazy glue) But it's pretty difficult to solder to stainless steel or that mystery black spoke covering. That was back when spokes were all bare plain steel.

rick

rickpaulos said:
...those cheap black Chinese spokes will probably start breaking when they get tightened up enough so plan on a future respoke with some name brand stainless steel spokes. Black spokes are just so weak. I've broken maybe 2 silver spokes in the past 40 years (not counting bike polo) but at least 1 in every wheel I own with black spokes.

rick

Can you recommend sources for black stainless spokes? I'm going to be swapping a three speed hub out for an eight speed and need shorter spokes.

I not convinced "Black stainless steel" spokes actually exist. Been my experience that black spokes are quite weak and stainless spokes are quite strong. And how do you get paint to stick to stainless steel? or how do you anodize stainless steel. I'd question anyone's claims of black stainless steel, especially of Chinese origin. I've been able to scrape the paint off of some black spokes and those sure didn't look like stainless steel. Other black spokes do have a very tough finish that is scrape proof.

Most spokes normally break by popping the head off or snapping at the end of the threads. But I see many black spokes also break in the middle. I repair bikes on ragbrai each summer. We replace spokes all day long. 90-95% of the broken spokes are black but I'd guess less than 10% of the bikes on the ride have black spokes. My LBS stopped carrying black spokes because they don't hold up. When the customer keeps coming back in with broken spokes, the LBS can show their silver replacements aren't the ones that broke.

rickpaulos said:
I not convinced "Black stainless steel" spokes actually exist. Been my experience that black spokes are quite weak and stainless spokes are quite strong. And how do you get paint to stick to stainless steel? or how do you anodize stainless steel. I'd question anyone's claims of black stainless steel, especially of Chinese origin. I've been able to scrape the paint off of some black spokes and those sure didn't look like stainless steel. Other black spokes do have a very tough finish that is scrape proof.

Most spokes normally break by popping the head off or snapping at the end of the threads. But I see many black spokes also break in the middle. I repair bikes on ragbrai each summer. We replace spokes all day long. 90-95% of the broken spokes are black but I'd guess less than 10% of the bikes on the ride have black spokes. My LBS stopped carrying black spokes because they don't hold up. When the customer keeps coming back in with broken spokes, the LBS can show their silver replacements aren't the ones that broke.

I'll stick a magnet on the spokes on the Basman I'm working on to check but I have another bike with black stainless spokes and they don't seem to be painted. Don't know if they are powder coated.

Sapim makes quality spokes, look em up. Real stainless steel with black oxide coating. For custom cut, I would talk with Holmes Hobbies. I just noticed them at DansComp, but I have no experience with them.

Latest posts

Back