Sportmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jumping in a little late again... I purchased this a couple years ago for the seat pan (I needed a riding saddle for my '69 Fastback). I don't remember exactly what I paid. Wasn't much and was a good deal for the seat. Part of the delay in getting started is because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. Initially I'd planned a complete overhaul - gears, disc brakes, new paint, etc. The more I looked at it though the better it looked as is. Settled on a thorough cleaning and some minor modifications to make it ridable.

01_driveSide.jpg

02_nondriveSide.jpg

Not real sure of the date or manufacturer. I believe it's an AMF? I'm also guessing it's a 78 or 79. The BMA/6 label started to be used in the early 70s from what I was able to find. Side reflectors started to be required in the late 70s. Assuming the wheels and reflectors are original to the bike (big assumption) and that the reflectors are date coded to the reflector manufacture date (another assumption) that puts it at a 79.

04_bma6Label.jpg

05_refectorDate.jpg

Wasn't able to locate any reference based on the serial number.

03_serialNumber.jpg

Here's a roundup of additional details on what I'm starting with. Rear bridge was welded on crooked but there is a lot of room there, and at the chain-guard for a wider tire.

06_detailCrookedBridge.jpg

07_paintPeel.jpg

08_chainGuard.jpg

09_headbadgeSticker.jpg

Rims cleaned and new tires mounted. Original tires were Trelleborg, 20x1.75 slick rear and 20x1.75 front. New tires are Odyssey/Hawk 20x2.40 rear and Kenda Kwest 20x1.50 front.

01_oldTires.jpg

02_newTires.jpg

Part swaps to make it more ridable include taller bars (14" verses original 10.5" rise), longer seat stem (14.5" verses 12"), and longer cranks (6.5" verses original 4.5" arm).

03_bars.jpg

04_seatStems.jpg

05_cranks.jpg

Pulled everything apart. What didn't get a good scrubbing and polish went into a citric acid bath. About half a teaspoon of citric acid (powder used for canning tomatoes in place of lemon juice) per cup of water. The rims received the same citric acid bath treatment. Works really well at removing rust. The chain probably illustrates that best. You do have to be careful that it doesn't strip other finishes (like zinc coatings) off if you want to keep them.

Before
01_piecesPartsPreCitricAcid.jpg

After
02_piecesPartsPostCitricAcid.jpg

Frame cleaned and polished
03_framePolishedDriveSide.jpg

04_framePolishedNonDriveSide.jpg

Pulled everything apart. What didn't get a good scrubbing and polish went into a citric acid bath. About half a teaspoon of citric acid (powder used for canning tomatoes in place of lemon juice) per cup of water. The rims received the same citric acid bath treatment. Works really well at removing rust. The chain probably illustrates that best. You do have to be careful that it doesn't strip other finishes (like zinc coatings) off if you want to keep them.

Before
View attachment 143603

After
View attachment 143604

Frame cleaned and polished
The parts were meticulously replaced in near identical positions relative to the background.
I wonder what Gil Grissom would say about that...

Looks like you're off to a great start! Seems like you're going for more subtle modifications to your bike, but I think they're going to make a big difference once you put it all back together.

The parts were meticulously replaced in near identical positions relative to the background.
I wonder what Gil Grissom would say about that...

Been a while since I watched. Didn't most of the suspects have some type of obsessive behavior? I might be in trouble...

Looks like you're off to a great start! Seems like you're going for more subtle modifications to your bike, but I think they're going to make a big difference once you put it all back together.

Thanks! Yeah, aiming for a subtle refurbish with minimal mods where required to improve the ride.

Started putting things back together. I'm really happy with the tire selection.

01_assembly01.jpg

Amazing the amount of space that's available for tire clearance without modification on this frame.

02_tireClearance01.jpg

03_tireClearance02.jpg

I was a little concerned about crank clearance when I swapped out for the longer crank arms. Got lucky again, plenty of room.

04_crankLongArms.jpg

05_crankStandClearance.jpg

06_crankGuardClearance.jpg

07_guardPedalSprocketDetail.jpg

Tried to keep the contrast between the different finishes as best as I could while cleaning everything up.

08_zincChromeContrast.jpg

Just waiting on the seat and sissy bar.

09_assembly02.jpg

Started putting things back together. I'm really happy with the tire selection.

View attachment 143804

Amazing the amount of space that's available for tire clearance without modification on this frame.

View attachment 143805

View attachment 143806

I was a little concerned about crank clearance when I swapped out for the longer crank arms. Got lucky again, plenty of room.

View attachment 143807

View attachment 143808

View attachment 143809

View attachment 143810

Tried to keep the contrast between the different finishes as best as I could while cleaning everything up.

View attachment 143811

Just waiting on the seat and sissy bar.

View attachment 143812
Looking good TJ! You were right on the money with the tire selection! All those small changes went a long way!

Here's a couple close-ups of the sissy bar before and after the citric acid bath.

01_loopPreCitricAcid.jpg

02_loopPostCitricAcid.jpg

03_endPreCitricAcid.jpg

04_endPostCitricAcid.jpg

What's the saying... "when the only tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail"? Yeah, rather than trying to find a taller sissy bar I pulled out the welder and spliced 4 inches into the one I had. Didn't spend all the time required to try and make the connections disappear but they're close enough.

05_4InchSleeve.jpg

06_welded.jpg

07_weldPreCleanup.jpg

08_weldPostCleanup.jpg

09_lengthenedSissybarComplete.jpg

25.5'' hole-to-hole is a good length for adults. What do you apply to prevent future rust?

Almost seamless

25.5'' hole-to-hole is a good length for adults. What do you apply to prevent future rust?

Almost seamless

Hole-to-hole on the sissy bar ended up at 23.25”. Arrived at that by measuring from the crank center to the middle of where I wanted the seat. Somewhere between 26.5” and 27.5” has proven to be the most comfortable for me.

I’ve had luck with just a good coat of wax to prevent rust returning. Used the same cleaning method on the Fastback the original seat from this bike ended up on as a riding saddle. That was a couple years ago and the Fastback looks the same. Although to be fair it is stored inside.

Found a new seat and recovered it with white glitter vinyl. I glued neoprene to the top pan with spray mount and did some minor shaping. I then used a hair dryer to heat and stretch the vinyl over the padding and attached the vinyl to the top pan using hot glue before mounting the bottom pan.

01_newSeat.jpg

02_newSeatBottom.jpg

03_newSeatStripped.jpg

04_oldNewPadding.jpg

05_neoprenePadding.jpg

06_heatStretchGlueCover.jpg

07_seatBottomWithoutPan.jpg

08_coverNonDriveSide.jpg

09_viewSeatPanBottom.jpg

10_completedSeat.jpg

Latest posts

Back