SPRAY BOMB QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Okay, I have almost no patience when it comes to painting stuff....especially bike parts. So far I have painted a couple of sets of wheels and the truss rods I just installed on my Typhoon.

I usually take some light sandpaper to whatever surface I plan to paint to scuff it up a bit. I make sure the surface is clean and then I apply a couple of light coats of primer followed by 4 coats of paint.

I'm not sure if the paint just takes a really long time to dry and harden or what, but my parts always seem to scratch very easily....like I can hit bare metal again usually with something as soft as my fingernail. This can be done several days after the parts have dried.

Are there any suggestions on how to make a really tough finish? Am I laying the paint on too thick and therefor it never really hardens? Would a few coats of clear solve this problem?

from my experience with cans they always scratch easy. the best way i've found is do a couple light coats let sit for a week to 2 weeks than re-assemble clear coating does help but not like it does on automotive finishes. I have done test with the spray booth at work which i rarley can use and found if you bake the spray bomb frame it makes it much stronger but again not as strong as using auto finishes with a gun. But at the same time cans ar SOOOOOOOo much easier...lol

I usually sand down to bare metal, or close to bare metal, have about 2-3 coats of primer and heaps and heaps of really light coats of colour. I'm not sure if clear coat helps but a lot of the time I do use it.

I'm also really impatient with my painting and I tend to assmble stuff earlier than I should. So far the paint jobs I've done have held up really really well, but the next one I do I'm going to wait a long time between each coat and wait maybe a week or 2 before reassembling

Has anyone tried that rustoleum appliance epoxy, enamel stuff????
If it's as tough as my stove paint, it should stand up to some serious abuse on a bike.

yustin said:
Has anyone tried that rustoleum appliance epoxy, enamel stuff????
If it's as tough as my stove paint, it should stand up to some serious abuse on a bike.

paintedrims.jpg

I like it, seems hard ..but I just cruise 8) 8) 8)

Rustoluem Appliance Epoxy, Here i come :) I beat the Living heck out of my stuff so tough paint is in order! Outsider is that red the same stuff?

Ricky, you got me on that one, the red is not epoxy, I posted that page on a painting rims post :?

Back