Spray paint help please.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the price of automotive paint now days, I decided to try spray cans. I bought some from Lowes. I've used the black with good results, but this time I wanted to shoot orange. Well it's taking a long time to dry. It's dry to the touch, but I can leave marks in it if I handle it, this is after 24 hours, and it doesn't cover all that well. I was wondering what brand of spray paint you use? I have a Walmart, Ace hardware, Orschlens farm and home (they have tractor paint) and the usuall auto parts stores O'riellys, Autozone, and Napa. I also have a John Deere store, but they don't have a lot of colors, and of course Lowes. Thanks, Dean

I tend to have really good luck with plain 'ol rustoleum.
Krylon has the good colors but they usually take multiple coats, thats the thing, do a light coat, let it tack up, do another light coat, repeat...

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
With the price of automotive paint now days, I decided to try spray cans. I bought some from Lowes. I've used the black with good results, but this time I wanted to shoot orange. Well it's taking a long time to dry. It's dry to the touch, but I can leave marks in it if I handle it, this is after 24 hours, and it doesn't cover all that well. I was wondering what brand of spray paint you use? I have a Walmart, Ace hardware, Orschlens farm and home (they have tractor paint) and the usuall auto parts stores O'riellys, Autozone, and Napa. I also have a John Deere store, but they don't have a lot of colors, and of course Lowes. Thanks, Dean

Hey Dean, temperature and humidity have a lot to with how long paint takes to cure. The cooler or more humid it is, the longer it will take. Lighter colors take more coats to cover the old paint. Whenever you can spare some time at a computer, try googling "spray painting tips/tricks"
Rick

Thanks guys for the tips. I should say that I've been a professional automotive painter for a good part of my working career. I've been a machinist/tool & die guy for about the last 10 years or so. I finished a full restoration on a 78 elCamino for a friend of mine about 3 months ago. I still do some stuff in my spare time. I wanted to use spray cans on my bikes, because automotive paint has become so expensive. My Mini is orange, and I bought a quart to do some touch up, and just the quart of paint was $110.00. That doesn't include the reducer, clear, etc. I'll try the Ace paint. Thanks, Dean

i always slap some automotive clear in a can on cause its has a hardener in it... it seem's to dry the paint and make it harden faster......

Well first off. you need a white primer coat for the orange to cover. Same with yellow and hunter green. These colors are all usually high pigment based and are actually translucent in a sense. Grey primer for reds, greens and white for orange and yellow. Red primer can also work for your reds and oranges. Never use Krylon primers. They are all watery. Use Rustoleum or Auto Primer in spray cans from Strauss or Pep Boys or what ever your local auto parts place is.

Next. Brands of Paint. Rustoleum is your more superior brand of American enamel. Krylon was great til about the mid 90's when the Borden Co. owned them and the paint was lead based. Since Sherwin Williams took over the paint it's been poorly made and obviously no lead content. If you live in an urban city I highly recommend finding out where your local hip hop / graffiti supply shop is. Now a days graffiti writers are using imported spray paint from Spain, Germany and I believe Australia now. This is thee best spray paint you can possible buy not to mention there is a bazillon cool colors to choose from. Recommended Brands would be Montana and Belton.

One coat, any color and no primer needed. You can order the paint online and runs about 4-8 bux a can.

Montana GOLD brand is showing up in art supply stores here in Philly and I believe Belton was available at Pearl Paints.
But if your sticking to American brand you can grab at Lowes or Depot stick to RUSTO Premium.

Slow drying can be a result of humidity like someone already mentioned or from now shaking the paint enough before using it.
If a can has been sitting for a long time the harder sepparates from the enamel and rises to the top. They way a spray can is built the
straw runs to the very bottom of the can forcing what ever is at the bottom out first. Some times clogging the nozzle or squirting out a thick paint foam or even a flat version of the color for a second or too.

Here is a link for some cool paints.

http://www.store-montana.com/Products?r ... =2&tpid=90

http://artprimo.com/catalog/spray-paint ... 26_35.html
Hope this Helps.

Dr. Sizzle

Back