Springer front fork/brake help......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening guys, Is anyone familiar with this bracket from "Bicycledesigner"??

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defaulth ... r%3D505001

I have a 20" standard style springer fork .....and desperately need to somehow mount a brake on the front. Anyone know if that bracket would work for a straight fork design?? OR does anyone have any ideas about mounting a brake to these springer forks????

Looking for ideas here guys :(

I did manage to fit an MX1000 side pull caliper (old school BMX part) onto a 26" springer using the fender mount hole. It was a pain to get it on there unless you undo the struts and swing them out of the way.

The bicycle designer bracket appears to clamp onto the fork legs - this method allows the pads to stay aligned with the rim when the springer "springs". Mounting to the steer tube means the brakes won't align with the rim when the fork "springs".

I think you could easily make your own (better looking) bracket with some scrap metal and bolts.

Hope this helps.

-Mp

MP, You're probably right...I could probably make my own bracket.

I was considering trying to mount a front brake because I wanted to run a freewheel instead of a coaster.....but there isn't a brake mount on the rear of this frame....and I don't want to cut or weld this nice frame.

I have located a nice coaster brake wheel instead (all I had on hand were freewheels)....so I'll probably just go back with a coaster to simplify things. :?

There are brackets that are used in trials and mtb for fitting V / Y brakes on forks with no brackets. never used them myself but im told they are good. was thinking of getting some for my tandem because 1930's drum brakes arnet that brill.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back