sprocket removel troubles...HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this AMF Hurcules and im trying to make my own rat out of it but i cannot get this sprocket out :oops:
the sprockets like no other sprocket ive seen before, just help me figure out how to get this out. PLEASE!!
1350061762.jpg

It has this big threaded piece inside of the frame and i took a flathead and hit it with my hammer until it unscrewed this much, but the pedal crank is in the way and it cant unscrew anymore??
1350061779.jpg

it has the pedal that screws into the crank like every bike does... but for some reason i dont think the bolt was always that color... i dont know why :lol: But ive tried to unscrew it but it just wont budge, not even with the bike wrenches i "had" even if i could take it out it wouldnt fit through the frame to take out....
1350061765.jpg

and last.. the crank has these screws going through it the nuts are removed but the screw wont come out i even hit it with my hammer.

So please just tell me what i can do i would appritiate it :D

Those are cottered cranks. You will need to get the pin out. They can be quite stubborn and it may have to be pressed out. I have gotten lucky by placing a socket over the non threaded end and then using a c-clamp to force it out.

You will need to get new cotter keys to replace the cranks. Save the old ones so you are sure to get the right size.

udallcustombikes said:
Those are cottered cranks. You will need to get the pin out. They can be quite stubborn and it may have to be pressed out. I have gotten lucky by placing a socket over the non threaded end and then using a c-clamp to force it out.

You will need to get new cotter keys to replace the cranks. Save the old ones so you are sure to get the right size.
well mine is totaly fuggedd.. i figured out how to take it off and i need the nuts to do so.. and i dont have anything to fit, if i were to cut the pedals off can i put a regular sprocket inside of it?

The bearings in the cups may be loose, get ready to catch them. The sprocket is part of the crank on that side. If you can avoid having to change it, it will save you a lot of headache. Unless you must have it different, I would put it back the way it was. If you have already removed the cotter pins, then it's a done deal. The pins will have to be replaced when you put the crank arms back on. The bearings need grease anyway, that's how they stay in place when you put it all back together.

well i was trying to stetch the rear to fit a bigger tire well while i stepped away for a min the bike feel from the pipe it was hammered into and bent the sprocket :( this is just a sad storyyy :oops: could i cut it out and replace it with a regular sprocket?

The pedal on the non-drive side(left side) is opposite threads.

You can replace the sprocket if you replace the cranks. You can find similar cranks/sprocket or replace the bottom bracket(bearings) and more modern cranks.

a variety of ways, either pounding it flat with a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet, clamping it in a vise between two pieces of wood and bending it back into shape with and adjustable wrench... or any other way you can come up with.

driving over it with a car? haha

Latest posts

Back