Stainless Scrapper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think something like this? I have to sacrifice all of my 7/8" tubing to do a cantilever, so if I want to build matching bars, I might have to buy more, but this is the way to go, I think.
IMG_4659.JPG

So the triple tree I wanted to use for this bike is one I've had for a while, and I'm using it specifically because the holes for the legs are 1", and that's the size tubing I have in stainless. It also has a 1" head tube, which is what this frame is. The issue is that it's way too narrow for the 3" rims I have, so I'm playing around with a plate to offset the legs, since to use bends to do the offset would make the forks longer than I'd like.
IMG_4864.JPG
IMG_4865.JPG
IMG_4866.JPG

Seat post on, a little more of the frame welded out, and fork legs smoothed out.
IMG_4867.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

So, I did make a miscalculation, and ended up making the fork legs too short. Should be an easy fix though, to have the drops I make have a little reach down, instead of just forward.

Seat on, back wheel on, and front fork done. She's a roller.
IMG_4882.JPG

One thing I haven't noted on my Instagram (where I'm also posting this build) is that I'm already aware that the space for the rear drops between the stays is way too tight for the Nexus to bolt onto. Not sure how I'm going to solve that yet.

Seat on, back wheel on, and front fork done. She's a roller.

One thing I haven't noted on my Instagram (where I'm also posting this build) is that I'm already aware that the space for the rear drops between the stays is way too tight for the Nexus to bolt onto. Not sure how I'm going to solve that yet.
Maybe you can find or fabricate some longer axle nuts.

Oh wait, you shifting pin and bellcrank is on the drive side.

A "custom" nut with the same dimensions, but some holes on the right side. I think the Torpedo hub utilizes these on the brake side. Don't know if its the same thread, plus custom tools required:
20230424_060153.jpg

Or else a good ol coasterbrake singlespeed.

Love your work on the frame, beautifully built!

Finished the frame, and started putting on all its final parts.
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG

One issue continues with the right side rear drop out. I hole-sawed out around where the axle would land, and even filled in the tubing there to make it look good. And yet, the hole I made is still not enough for the 3 speed attachment. I'm so bummed, but I'm going to have to cut it out even bigger, and hope that it still looks clean when I'm done.

So, I cut the opening in the chain stays at the drops more, and rewelded it tight. The shifter attachment then fit, but not the black plastic cover. I just cut the cover to sit flush against the tubing, and that did it. A lot of work to get that shifter cable attached.
IMG_5199.JPG

So it's now a roller, and shifts, and rides. I just have to find a cooler set of bars (until I can make my own matching stainless bars), and some small details. Getting her ready to display at the upcoming Shiny Side Up Bike Show.

Here's how she sits now:
IMG_5198.JPG

I was going to buy an aluminum billet shifter, to match the polished look, but I decided to just make one out of junk I had on-hand. I found that the cap to a martini shaker fit firmly over the rubber perfectly. I then welded on a spoon handle that I had in my stainless scrap pile, and came up with this:
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG

Latest posts

Back