Starbard Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is my first build-off entry ever.

As such, I'm entering my first 100% custom made diamond frame, made by me here in Massachusetts this fall, the first of many that I hope to come to bear my name...

The frame is made of cro-moly tubing and the frame and fork alone weigh 3.8 lbs. Without paint, initially:

1264oc7.jpg

Paint:

imv4h0.jpg

...With a really nice genuine SA scripted 3 speed coaster wheelset:

34sq7mw.jpg

... and after today's tinkering with a whole bunch of new parts from the LBS and eBay:

2jewcur.jpg

30vkhuq.jpg

mbptnb.jpg

vzub5.jpg

White tires:

2j1x0zm.jpg

Seat: (likely to be traded out for dark brown hairpin saddle...)

20icbwi.jpg

MKS Aluminum(?) pedals (the LBS sold me on these... and after seeing them on Geezer, I'm really liking them...)

ifttg7.jpg

Shiny new KMC chain:

zo9gtk.jpg

Bars: (awaiting)

fbf8xw.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality, daylight has left us here and my camera is on it's deathbed. Better pictures when daylight returns!

If my LBS can get everything I have on order in real soon, and if things continue to progress as well as they have, this beast will be rolling in no time flat. I've got a half moon bar on the way, and plan on changing the seat out for a dark brown hairpin as mentioned above. I plan on running an SA grip shift setup-hopefully, I can get some cool pointed grips to fit the shifter. I will be adding some chrome trusses to the fork. Should have the rest of my parts by next weekend... that's all for now!

** Yes, the bike is sitting in the living room, and I can't believe my parents haven't said a word about it yet. :wink: -Probably a precursor as to what my own house will look like someday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks!

After the buildoff is over, I plan on changing quite a bit about the bike. The goal now is to get it rideable for the fall with the components present. Over the course of this winter, I'll more than likely change the wheels out for a custom built red 700C wheelset with a ND Model D hub in back and standard ND front (I guess they call that a Y model?). I will be running Cream Schwalbe Delta cruiser 700c tires at that time.

Skipton said:
Love the bike
The wheel set is killer :!:

Thanks! As soon as the buildoff is voer the wheelset will probably be up for grabs. I think that a red 700C wheelset with cream Schwalbes is going to really pop on the bike...

stretch said:
hey chris who made that frame? :p

Dunno, found it in the trash :wink:

sensor said:
thats gonna be a really nice looking bike(and even though i said it before ill say it again great job on that frame :mrgreen: )

Thanks again! I already have a TON of ideas about the next one... I am dying to get going on this and then the next! Both should be done by next spring... :D

for an anything goes, it looks pretty professional.

Thanks Scott.

I got my handlebar yesterday and began playing around with it and the bike together. I am really liking the bar, even more than I had anticipated. I'll have some pictures later today when daylight is back. Power was out yesterday afternoon through last night so pictures were impossible to upload. :roll: Still awaiting on a bunch of part to come in at my LBS and the build will be all wrapped up... hopefully within the next few weeks.

Chris

Well, a quick mockup with the wrong stem (just to hold the bar in place until I get the one in mind) and a few other parts to be changed (seat and post are going for sure. Grips hopefully to be purchased this weekend, still waiting on my LBS for a bunch of parts).

2ch8dw9.jpg

2vcc31k.jpg

2v8pvs7.jpg

idxana.jpg

2mxjqu0.jpg

do you plan on producing those? if so, i get first dibs! :p :D

stretch said:
do you plan on producing those? if so, i get first dibs! :p :D

Eventually, I'd like to build them to sell.

I have plans for the next pretty well mapped out in my head and I'm dying to get going on it... A full build thread will come as it progresses. :wink:

stretch said:
how much?

It really will depend on the parts with each one is built, how it's built, and how complex the paint is. I've got quite a bit of figuring to do, and the next one should prove to be an experiment on cost- it more than likely won't be going up for sale, but will be a pretty good example of what they will look like and should give me a really good idea of what they would cost. I have a lot of learning and practice to do before hand, too.

Well, Good news and bad news for this build.

Good news: Found a period butterfly kickstand to use rather than the dropstand (which is not fitting my dropouts too well)- will either paint it or have it chromed. Also will be placing an order with MLC by the end of the week (if all goes well) to get a few things...

Bad News: Bike shop is having trouble getting a few of the parts I need- hopefully I'll have that sorted out Tuesday afternoon.

More Good and Bad news.

I talked with the LBS today and everything is sorted out, and all my parts are there.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get there until next Saturday, but at least things are back in order and on track and this build is headed toweards completion.

Well, got all of my parts finally and most installed. unfortunately, I haven't had much time to do any work to the bike. I got my seat and grips tonight- the last pieces- so the bike should be done about a month early. Just waiting for the grips and seat to arrive so I can install them, and I do need to go back to the LBS to mill my headtube out for the new headset.

Unfortunately it's too dark to take a good picture now- I guess at this point it's suitable to just take some pictures when it's 100% done. :wink: The last bits I need are a few pieces of NOS Sturmey Archer hardware (axle nuts- can anyone help?)

***EDIT: Forgot to mention, I need to repaint my "new" butterfly kickstand.

Genuine NOS Flexgrip Model A grips:

jpvorq.jpg

Replacement saddle- slimmer profile Ritchey (couldn't reach the pedals with the last seat):

11l0oif.jpg

Latest posts

Back