Started with this and found this

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks to be a prewar Huffman.
The jury is still out on this one.
What do you think?

3 layers of house paint then there was remnants of the two tone red with some pinstripes left behind from the stripper used.

gy5avy9u.jpg

a4a4abu6.jpg

Then

qyhe6u7u.jpg

saragajy.jpg

e7y2anet.jpg

Fork stamped

zasune4u.jpg

I hate house paint unless you find a two tone red....so cool.

Here's what I found under all that blue and green house paint on the fenders.....what a shame I couldn't save the og paint.

epuje5y8.jpg

uqa7e6ap.jpg

6ydubaha.jpg

Hi JD...

The separate seat post clamp reveals this as postwar, 46 - 47. The prewar frames had an integral-to-the-post, split in tube, seat post clamping action. The "46" on the fork is a year reference and cinches it.

That's a shame about the paint. In my experience recovering the original, under an old repaint, is a less than 50-50 proposition. Sometimes a vintage period correct amateur repaint has a nice look about it.

Doug the stamped fork says 46? Don't see a "4"...but, it might be a double stamping, I guess.
Someone mentioned that the western flyer badge was a prewar badge though. It was removed by me and the original rivets were never touched, except by me....I'm guessing.

4yre3y9y.jpg

I was hoping it was an earlier than postwar (45 or newer).
Can't the serial number help decipher the year?

u2ydu5ar.jpg

Last edited:
The serial # decodes as 46 also.

Okey doke then...it's a 46.
Thanks.

Looks like this will be a bare metal theme all around. Should be a nice ratty look.
Have a Huffman chainring on its way.
Might install the 47 Excelsior double dropcenters on this one. Lots of patina on them.
Still a shame on the og paint but, this was an almost give away bike until I decided to strip it down.
Will be a worth a bit more when it's done.

And thanks Adam for chiming in ( long time no hear ).
And the comments ctacruiser.

Last edited:
Stopped the easyoff stripping and proceeded with the heavyduty Goof-off. Still a bit too much blue left on the bike. But, it did it's job breaking down the stubborn house paints.

Here it is with a dry fit of needed parts.
A chainring I got from jpromo and an ebay chainguard jpromo sent me the link on. Thanks for the help Jason.
Added a seat and toploader. As well as the dropcenters from the Excelsior I got a ways back.

equgu9yz.jpg

yzajunu3.jpg

Little more house paint removed today.
Added some old whitewalls and (not the rims I'm using once done) Just not sure what color tires to do on this one yet.
May have to strip the chainguard some to match the distressed look of the bike.

What do ya'll think?

ny5a2u2a.jpg

ge6ude5e.jpg

Perfect addition to the bike.
What do you think?

Now to mount the creme Duros to the crusty dropcenters and reinstall all the bearings.
Should be a cool smooth rider. Was told to repaint it but, well you know....;) :oops:

rajuqa7e.jpg

ebu9udem.jpg

rebypy8u.jpg

a2abytus.jpg

Added some creme Duros and dropcenters as well as replaced the toploader fender light with a cool ornament.
Rack is on its way.

du5ydeta.jpg

a2y2a9am.jpg

Just about done with this rebuild.
Still need to service the wheels but, after installing a 56" rusty chain ( needs a vinegar soak), a period correct rack and a pair of pedals, I was amazed how smooth peddled and coasted.

Still not bad for a destined scrapyard bike recovery.

yhyveryv.jpg

emugypa5.jpg

Looks good.

I'm assuming that chain guard was a repaint at some point.

Here's the one from my WF
y4u6a8y2.jpg

I liked the light on the fender; I'm trying to find a nice crusty one for my build.

Looks good.

I'm assuming that chain guard was a repaint at some point.

Here's the one from my WF
y4u6a8y2.jpg

I liked the light on the fender; I'm trying to find a nice crusty one for my build.
It appears this chainguard I picked up is an original paint twotone navy blue / orange. ...but not a match to the maroon/red on my Huffman.
Still looking for a good bare metal fender light for this ratty looking bike.

8a9u3yra.jpg

Nice couldn't tell in the pics.
Did just realize that your chainring is opposite mine in the pics.
I've never had my ring off the crank arm so I've always figured it was made that way but who knows.

I like the light you had on in the pics would look good on my bike.;)

I have a soft spot for these old WF as my 41 women's WF was my first old bike (pre 70s)
I'm putting everything from the WF onto a CWC (most likely was a roadmaster) frame tho.

Bike looks great..I think you are right about stripping the chainguard...looks like you had to do some bodywork to it too...

Is that tank a direct fit or something you adapted to the bike? I like how it continues beyond the seat tube.

Whitefiretiger.....These toploader lights are easily found.
And Bill....no body work done. The longtank is not the perfect fit as it hits the headtube and the rear seat post prevents in from being positioned any further back. But, was told it was the correct tank from a few gurus.
I agree that the chainguard colors don't do the bare metal and red / maroon original paint the justice it deserves when adding the correct guard for the Huffman.
The tank, guard, rear rack and chainring were acquired from forum members. And am grateful for the help.
The seat as well as the coke bottle grips were from other scrapyard saves and add to the looks on the bike.

The wife and I did a concert venue search ride at the beachfront last night with her 55 columbia and the Huffman.
Moonlit night which doesn't do the bikes justice.

bupy2e3u.jpg

And the two bikes look good in the truck.

7unasy9y.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back