Steal This Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my Off Road entry.
PB120011.JPG
Summit Workhorse from ind-chuckz.
I have bought multiple industrial bike frames from Chuckz and they mostly come all stickered up with what department they came from hoping that they don't get stolen. Or at least so they can be easily spotted after they get jacked.
Also got hooked up with a Sturmey Archer front drum hub.
A Bendix manual two speed hub is planned for the rear.

Here are some Weinemann rims that I had hoped to use.
PB130001.JPG

PB130002.JPG

The only problem is that my front hub is drilled for heavy gauge spokes, so I thought about using these rims that have the correct gauge spokes already.
PB080005.JPG

Unknown origin. Might have been on my Jamis Boss Cruiser. I killed the coaster hub in a skid contest. The problem with these is that I would have to drill out the Bendix two speed.
Or I could go Bomber style and use this Bendix Tandem. It is already drilled for the right gauge spokes.
PB130003.JPG

It's good to have options, I suppose. I'm leaning toward drilling the two speed.

View attachment 178036
It's good to have options, I suppose. I'm leaning toward drilling the two speed.
Odds are, whichever set you lace that 2 speed into, it will be where it stays for you. My instinct would beto drill it and add the Bendix 2 spd with the stronger spokes.

Those Weinmann 420s are not very common, though they were OE on lower-end bikes when produced. My 1987 Schwinn Mesa Runner has them. I like them and would not hesitate to build up a wheelset for light dirt dealing with them.

20210224_141027.jpg

I'm not sure of the durability on the Summit frames when used in the dirt, but this one has been solid for a multitude of uses for me since Y2K. I'll probably take it up to the a-technical Borderlands dirt before the end of this month.

20210622_152627.jpg

I'll try cleaning on the Weinmanns. If they clean up ok, I'll drill em out.
Odds are, whichever set you lace that 2 speed into, it will be where it stays for you. My instinct would beto drill it and add the Bendix 2 spd with the stronger spokes.

Those Weinmann 420s are not very common, though they were OE on lower-end bikes when produced. My 1987 Schwinn Mesa Runner has them. I like them and would not hesitate to build up a wheelset for light dirt dealing with them.

View attachment 178071

I'm not sure of the durability on the Summit frames when used in the dirt, but this one has been solid for a multitude of uses for me since Y2K. I'll probably take it up to the a-technical Borderlands dirt before the end of this month.

View attachment 178072
Schweet bikes.
I'm going to see how the Weinmanns clean up. If they look good I'll drill them out.

That Workhorse has a ton of off-road potential! Are you leaving the paint and graphics as they are, or are you doing something different?
The stickers were a nasty mess. I already started peeling them off with a heat gun. After the first round of sticker removal
PB170001.JPG

Finished removing decals and cut/filed off chainguard tabs.
PB170003.JPG

Gonna need some filler here
PB170005.JPG

Where I'm at so far:
PB170006.JPG

I'm still scrounging up parts. I had thought about pulling the cranks from this old Nishiki:
PB170015.JPG

But then I remembered that I had these:
PB200003.JPG

I also planning on using this Brooks B-72
PB200005.JPG

These grips are a placeholder unless I turn up something better:
PB200007.JPG

I have a bottom bracket adapter on the way. When that arrives, I can figure out if my chain line.

Nice Ritchey crank. I worked in a very large sewage treatment plant. There were managers, electricians, control techs, computer techs, mechanics, and finally operations. All of the named crafts and managers, except operations, kept everything that an operator was going to use operational. We had plant bicycles and golf carts and sometimes these were stolen by one craft or another and you would see decal signs like you had on your bicycle.

Nice Ritchey crank. I worked in a very large sewage treatment plant. There were managers, electricians, control techs, computer techs, mechanics, and finally operations. All of the named crafts and managers, except operations, kept everything that an operator was going to use operational. We had plant bicycles and golf carts and sometimes these were stolen by one craft or another and you would see decal signs like you had on your bicycle.
Our mill preached Lean manufacturing and 5S pretty heavy for a while. Still does somewhat. At some point everything that wasn't bolted down got a sticker telling you where it was supposed to be stored when not in use. We don't have a traditional tool crib where you have to check things out so good luck finding a ladder, cart or pallet jack when you need it.

Hammer MC, you've got a cool plan for this one! Hopefully you can stuff some fat mtb tires inside that beefy frame. Mo fatta, mo betta!

Off RaT Build oN~!

Latest posts

Back