Stealthmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Its going to together well and It should ride as good as it looks.

Other than a few small details, the Stealthmaster is done.

It rides awesome and completely different to its previous iteration. I guess it should with its new 3 piece Redline cranks, sealed BB, Tange sealed headset and Johnny Truetorch Powerslide bars. A mate came over and retensioned the spokes and took out a small hop in the rear wheel. Thanks Yngwe.

The bike feels more responsive and faster and the geometry feels incredibly modern for a bike frame with origins before WW2. Johnny True Torch’s Powerslide bars also feel awesome and add to the ride. They are WIDE and have just the right amount of back sweep and plenty of height for an old, tall bloke like me.

Leaving off the fenders and chain guard and the switch to 3 piece cranks has saved about 7 pounds. The cranks are also 10mm longer at 175mm than the one piece crank that was on it, feeding more torque through the cool skip tooth chain. I’m not sure If I’ll get a decent ride in before I head off overseas in a week or so, as I am still recovering from a chest cold and not too keen to go riding during winter. I’m just glad it is done and how it turned out, building on the beautiful 84 year old CWC design.

IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg
IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

Previous build of this frame
IMG_9242.jpeg

The bare frame as I got in 2021 and comparison to a ‘36 Schwinn. Its way bigger and stronger!

Last edited:
I fitted the kickstand today and an original Cleveland bike license plate I bought a couple of years back. I had to paint the shifter as it was badly scratched. I intend to mark 4th, 5th and 6th gears on the shifter housing which are the gears I use most.View attachment 236288View attachment 236283View attachment 236284
View attachment 236285View attachment 236286View attachment 236287
This is such a nice build. First pic is 💯, lighting, background, and then the bike…. 😍😍😍It looks ready for a showroom floor already. Is it finished?

Thank you so much. Bike is done and I am itching to take it for a long ride which will have to wait until Friday.

That looks clean and simple. Hopefully it rides smooth as it looks...
Thanks. I’ve only ridden it around the car park at work but it didn’t take long to work out it rides Cadillac smooth. It steers well and in a straight line and the brakes are awesome. JTT’s new Powerslide bars add to the feel. Even the skiptooth drivetrain seems to be smoother than before. I’m not sure if it is because I eliminated all the play in the cranks with the new setup or because I flipped the chainwheel over. Overall a massive improvement from the previous version of this bike.

Last edited:
After the ride around the car park a few days ago I felt like I needed more room, so I decided to have a go and make a layback post.

I cut another post from some spare bar I had, heated it with a torch and bent it to where i wanted it. Once it cooled down I fitted it and couldn’t wait to go on a quick test ride. Wow. The difference in comfort and rideability was immediately noticeable.

I am hoping to finish work early tomorrow and take the bike on a long shakedown ride.
IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

Last edited:
Seat post looks like it fits right in with the build! Do you know what 'grade' or type of steel it is that you used?

I have found that I need some kind of 'lay back' or set - back to my seat posts on all my vintage framed bikes, which is dictated by my longer femur (upper leg) in order to get a comfortable and efficient pedaling position.

Nice work on this one! What brand of chain is that? It looks like it has black inner plates and rollers with silver side plates. Fits your build vibe.

ja chain.png

Seat post looks like it fits right in with the build! Do you know what 'grade' or type of steel it is that you used?

I have found that I need some kind of 'lay back' or set - back to my seat posts on all my vintage framed bikes, which is dictated by my longer femur (upper leg) in order to get a comfortable and efficient pedaling position.

Nice work on this one! What brand of chain is that? It looks like it has black inner plates and rollers with silver side plates. Fits your build vibe.

View attachment 236727
Every time I fit a layback post to one of my bikes, I know I did the right thing. I am 6ft 2 and most old balloon tire bikes feel small for me.

The post is made of 316 solid stainless bar. I bought a 6ft length for about $40 a few years ago and have made about 4 posts from it to date. I am going to make another with a 70 degree bend when I get the chance to refill my gas bottle but this one will do for now.

The chain is a NOS USA made Diamond. I was really lucky to get it at a decent price around the same time I built this bike, the first time around in 2021. I could have bought 5-6 Izumi chains (my preferred brand of chain) for the price of this one chain but since it is the only skip tooth chain bike I have, I coughed up for it. If you like the look of this chain but don’t need a skip tooth chain, ACS offer a regular one with silver and black plates. I have one on my 41 Murray. It also has a seat post made from the same bar stock but the angle of the seat mast on this frame places the post back far enough for me.
IMG_4396.jpeg

Last edited:
After the ride around the car park a few days ago I felt like I needed more room, so I decided to have a go and make a layback post.

I cut another post from some spare bar I had, heated it with a torch and bent it to where i wanted it. Once it cooled down I fitted it and couldn’t wait to go on a quick test ride. Wow. The difference in comfort and rideability was immediately noticeable.

I am hoping to finish work early tomorrow and take the bike on a long shakedown ride. View attachment 236723
View attachment 236724
That bike is killer

Latest posts

Back