Stem and fork frozen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Trying to break down a bike to repaint it for my daughter and the stem and fork are frozen together. I've soaked it in PB Blaster for a few days and applied tons of torque but cant get it to budge. Any thoughts?

Is the stem steel or alloy( if so, use ammonia). Is the wedge at the bottom of the stem bolt free of the stem?

Heat may help break the corrosion.
Twisting with a longer bar.
Beating the stem upward with a hammer (make sure to have the handlebars still inserted).
Insert a long rod from the bottom of the fork tube near the fork crown, then beat with a hammer

Final technique: cut the stem off above the fork tube. Look for another fork and stem.

I just had a stem bolt on an old Spaceliner twist off. Dropped a #3 screwdriver in the bolt hole and knocked the wedge loose. Then used a wood block and hammer to drive the stem up.

cman said:
Is the stem steel or alloy( if so, use ammonia). Is the wedge at the bottom of the stem bolt free of the stem?

Beating the stem upward with a hammer (make sure to have the handlebars still inserted).
Insert a long rod from the bottom of the fork tube near the fork crown, then beat with a hammer

Final technique: cut the stem off above the fork tube. Look for another fork and stem.
You are exactly right about alloy and amonia.
If it's alloy and it will not remove, cutt the thing off at the fork steer tube, then drill it progressively bigger until it comes loose.

mikeeebikey said:
cman said:

You are exactly right about alloy and amonia.
If it's alloy and it will not remove, cutt the thing off at the fork steer tube, then drill it progressively bigger until it comes loose.

Now that you've mentioned it I had a trash can rescue that was an aluminum frame, alloy stem that I had to cut because it was frozen.

Latest posts

Back