Stem stuck in fork.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Next LaJolla that I picked upand am looking to strip and clear coat (I like the plain alum look) but the handle bar stem is stuck inthe fork... I have been trying both knock r' loose and pb blaster with no success yet. I have been soaking liberally and have put the forks down into a vice and clamped at top and used all my strength (I am 6'3" 220 lbs) to try and twist handle bar stem free using the bars and this won't budge. I think the wedge nut has been pushed down as well. Any other suggestions or ways to increase my leverage? I am trying to avoid cutting it but I will if I can't get it relatively soon... Thanks in advance.

JGood said:
I have a Next LaJolla that I picked upand am looking to strip and clear coat (I like the plain alum look) but the handle bar stem is stuck inthe fork... I have been trying both knock r' loose and pb blaster with no success yet. I have been soaking liberally and have put the forks down into a vice and clamped at top and used all my strength (I am 6'3" 220 lbs) to try and twist handle bar stem free using the bars and this won't budge. I think the wedge nut has been pushed down as well. Any other suggestions or ways to increase my leverage? I am trying to avoid cutting it but I will if I can't get it relatively soon... Thanks in advance.

Apparently soaking it with ammonia can help if they are alloyed parts. Had the same issue on a greenlight cruiser with an alloy stem, no luck freeing it though. I just masked of the stem to do the painting.

What he said. NH4 is really helpful with Al stuff;your stem may be steel, but that frame is Al, so give it a shot!

kim_dude said:
JGood said:

Apparently soaking it with ammonia can help if they are alloyed parts. Had the same issue on a greenlight cruiser with an alloy stem, no luck freeing it though. I just masked of the stem to do the painting.

Thanks, will give it a shot... Gotta love the life of a cheapo bike guy. with the time I spend on this project I could just buy a new one, lol.

JGood said:
I have a Next LaJolla that I picked upand am looking to strip and clear coat (I like the plain alum look) but the handle bar stem is stuck inthe fork... I have been trying both knock r' loose and pb blaster with no success yet. I have been soaking liberally and have put the forks down into a vice and clamped at top and used all my strength.

Take your stem bolt and screw it into the other side of the forks and tap with a hammer back out towards the top. To do that you have to remove and tap in the steer tube from the bottom. You might want to use a different bolt where you can hit it harder with a hammer so you dont ruin the original stem bolt.

Latest posts

Back