Step thru is a maybe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to start a build thread yet as I don’t know if I’ll have time for it but I dug out my Raleigh Superbe. I have ridden this before but it needs lots of work. It will be a fun project.
IMG_1691.jpeg

I started two and might not have the time to finish either. Go for it, have fun with it.
Hopefully I can get into it in a few weeks. It's been pretty busy lately and no time for my bike builds. 😔
Not much to do there clean and assemble
The paint is pretty much toast but I'll try to bring it back some. There's a couple of holes in the chainstays near the bottom bracket from kids jamming the wrong kickstand on it and tightening it way too tight. I'll have to weld those. I've been through the headset bearings before but I'd like to service the bottom bracket if I can get it apart. I've got some ideas for other bits and bobs as well. I hope I get the time, this could be a fun build.

That's a good bike to work with. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but the fork looks bent forward a little.

That's a good bike to work with. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but the fork looks bent forward a little.
I think it is the funny angle of the pic, but I'll have to take a look at it. This thing was ridden pretty hard once upon a time and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more damage than I realized.

I think it is the funny angle of the pic, but I'll have to take a look at it. This thing was ridden pretty hard once upon a time and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more damage than I realized.
If it's bent forward that usually means it was bent back from a collision, then bent forward too far. May need another fork.

If that turns out to be the case then I won’t build this one. If the fork was damaged that bad then the frame is probably bad too.
On the frame, look for small cracks in the paint around the lugs, especially the head tube lugs. That will tell if the frame is compromised. Those frames were stronger than the forks.

The frame is pretty much bulletproof I'd be surprised if it was compromised any fork with a one inch Stearer tube will work. Just remember change the headset (threading is different) I wouldn't worry to much if the bottom bracket still moves good just leave it alone I never fix them unless I have to cotters can be a bit of a pain n's they never work the same if you reuse them. If you do decide to open it there's several methods I use a ball joint splitter.

Hopefully I can get into it in a few weeks. It's been pretty busy lately and no time for my bike builds. 😔

The paint is pretty much toast but I'll try to bring it back some. There's a couple of holes in the chainstays near the bottom bracket from kids jamming the wrong kickstand on it and tightening it way too tight. I'll have to weld those. I've been through the headset bearings before but I'd like to service the bottom bracket if I can get it apart. I've got some ideas for other bits and bobs as well. I hope I get the time, this could be a fun build.

Pondo, if you dont have time to enter your Raleigh STBO bike, maybe you and I can consider a build off of our own at a later time. I just picked up a Raleigh Sport step thru for $2 (yes you get what you pay for). I'll post pics later, I have a hurricane to consider. Its rough but doable. Something for you to think about.......

Pondo, if you dont have time to enter your Raleigh STBO bike, maybe you and I can consider a build off of our own at a later time. I just picked up a Raleigh Sport step thru for $2 (yes you get what you pay for). I'll post pics later, I have a hurricane to consider. Its rough but doable. Something for you to think about.......
That's an interesting idea too. @ingola has one entered this time also. I paid $20 for mine, not sure if it was worth it. 🤣

Latest posts

Back