STBO Stirrup: the Hornets' Nest

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be building my Aunt Suzanne's Murray-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer for the Step-Thru Build Off. I've had it sitting on this pegboard for over 4 years now, and I think it's time to finally stop stalling on this bike and actually get it done.
BftD_stirrup_start_1.jpg
BftD_stirrup_start_2.jpg

So what's the story on this bike? Well, back in February 2020, not long after my Grandad (Dad's and my aunt Suzanne's dad) passed away, we were going through his stuff. They told me about an old bike my Aunt Suzanne had that was sitting in one of Grandad's sheds, and that I was free to have it if I wanted it. Sure enough, this old Western Flyer was sitting inside the shed with the most dirt dauber nests out of them all!
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_1.jpg

I pulled it out of that shed (thankfully, without getting stung,) and checked it out. It was actually in fairly decent shape despite where it sat for who knows how long, but it was absolutely covered in dirt daubers' nests! There were nests on the basket, on the wheels, under the seat, under the rack, and even inside the tank! I think I came up with the name right then and there: Stirrup: the Hornets' Nest!
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_2.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_3.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_4.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_5.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_6.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_7.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_8.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_9.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_10.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_11.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_12.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_13.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_14.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_15.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_16.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_17.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_18.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_19.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_20.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_21.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_22.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_23.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_24.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_25.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_as_found_26.jpg

I've picked up a few bikes that I could call barn finds, but this old Western Flyer practically is a barn find! I thanked Aunt Suzanne for the bike, and loaded it up in the bed of my dad's truck to take it home.

Now admittedly, I don't know too much about this bike. I asked Dad and Aunt Suzanne if they could tell me more about it, but neither remember much about it other than that my aunt had it decades ago when she was younger. I don't know when she got it or how, nor have I looked up the serial number to find out how old it is just yet, but just the fact that it's another bike I got from a family member is good enough for me!

The next month, March 2020, I began disassembly of this old Murray, and found even more dirt dauber nests than what I'd seen when I pulled it out of the shed earlier.
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_1.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_2.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_3.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_4.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_5.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_6.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_7.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_8.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_9.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_10.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_11.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_disassembly_12.jpg

As soon as I took apart everything, I knocked out the dirt dauber nests and washed all the parts. After that, I placed everything on that pegboard rack, where it had been sitting for the last 4 years. Between trying to figure out how I wanted to clean up this bike and focusing on more creative bike projects, this old Western Flyer's just been sitting waiting for me to get it done. I'm not sure where the headset hardware's gone (though I have an idea,) and the rusty wheels were donated to my 2022 RRBBO entry, Shoestring.
BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_main_SCALED.jpg

Here's the plan for this old Western Flyer: I'm not going to do anything crazy with this bike. I'm just going to clean up this bike as best as I can, clean off as much rust as possible without messing up the paint, and restore it to riding condition. I'd like to get the headlights working again if I can, and if I can find a replacement lens, that'd be great too.

I haven't started on it yet, mostly because I've spent the past couple weeks just working on cleaning out the garage where I build all my bikes. I've almost got my workspace where I want it, but I'll have to wait until after my brother's and sister-in-law's baby shower to start working on this bike again.

It has two hub shiners, the other day, someone said that is good luck. Congratulations, you may have already won...

PS I really like the peg board organization system. Do all your disassembled bikes and parts get racked like that?

It has two hub shiners, the other day, someone said that is good luck. Congratulations, you may have already won...
Ha, thanks Matti! Not sure this Western Flyer will have hub shiners again, but I may consider putting them back on.
PS I really like the peg board organization system. Do all your disassembled bikes and parts get racked like that?
Thanks! Ha, I wish! I've got a few parts and one other bike on a pegboard or rack of sorts, and other small parts in plastic drawers in my workspace out in the detached garage, but over in storage, it's only what I can describe as "organized chaos." Some parts are organized, and as for the rest, it's chaos!🤣

I've been slowly reorganizing everything so it's easier to find parts without firewalking over everything, and I'm making good progress, at least out in the garage. You might get a kick out of how I stored some parts on this rotating rack of mine! It's not perfect, but it's better than before.
20240915_111338.jpg
20240915_111357.jpg
20240915_111421.jpg
20240915_111436.jpg

Once I get done cleaning up my workspace, I might show you just how bad it was after my last "mockup mash."

Time for some actual build updates!

On Monday, I took Stirrup off the pegboard rack and put it on my work stand. Right away, I spotted something that I either didn't notice before or had completely forgotten about. Turns out, the left seat stay is bent inward a little bit. I'll want to bust out some string and make sure the rear triangle isn't misaligned now that I know it's like that.
BftD_Stirrup_92324_1.jpg

Next, I snapped a photo of the serial number, and just now looked it up with this guide. Looks like this Western Flyer was built in 1966. Cool!
BftD_Stirrup_92324_2.jpg

I checked the condition of the fork race by cleaning it with with a brass wire brush and some #0000 steel wool. Thankfully, the race is in good condition! I can use it as-is!
BftD_Stirrup_92324_3.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_4.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_5.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_6.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_7.jpg

I wanted to test and see if I could clean up the paint and a bit of the surface rust using rubbing compound. While it didn't do anything to the rust, it did shine up the paint a little. The left seat stay has been treated with rubbing compound, while the right one has not.
BftD_Stirrup_92324_9.jpg

After that test, I went ahead and applied rubbing compound to the whole frame. I then followed it up with some SC Johnson paste wax to seal in the shine. Got to say, after spending a little time shining up the lovely teal paint on this bike, I'm feeling a lot more motivated to get this bike rolling again!
BftD_Stirrup_92324_10.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_11.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92324_12.jpg

Speaking of getting this bike rolling again, the last thing I did on Monday was assess the bearing cups and search for replacement bearings. One headset bearing cup was fine, but the other had some wear on it, so I dug around for a replacement. Fortunately, I think I found a few. Granted, some have an indentation on the mounting surface that the original didn't have, and some of these are a bit iffy on the condition, but I know I have at least 1 replacement here that'll work. If not, I have a few Murray bikes I can rob parts off of if need be.
BftD_Stirrup_92324_13.jpg

I also found some replacement headset bearings too. Some of these may be too far gone, but I've got plenty here that'll work just fine. I just need to some them in some Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner, and I'll be in business!
BftD_Stirrup_92324_14.jpg

Yesterday, I tackled the bottom bracket hardware. I didn't take any before photos, sorry, but I did find good replacements for the bottom bracket races. I cleaned them up with a brass wire wheel on my dad's grinder, along with the original hardware and the threads on the crank.
BftD_Stirrup_92424_1.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92424_2.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_92424_3.jpg

Latest posts

Back