STR-29 Walk Around

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

I didn't notice you had a front brake before...the US bikes are rear only. I added a matching front tektro setup to my 26" PK Ripper, and it doesn't seem to work worth crap :)...probably need try gummier pads, or a different brand of brakes.

Jason

Cheers - Yeah - front brakes on bikes are mandatory here. So are Helmets.

As such my Electra cruiser has a Shimano Drum brake that works better than the standard Dia-compe side pull callipers and Tektro levers on the STR. With the standard pads I could hold the front brake on as hard as I could and still push the bike forward while standing beside it. Apparently it's the steel wheels combo.

I fitted Flybikes soft pads - the ones with female fasteners - and they made a world of difference. They took the brakes from 'useless ballast' to 'barely acceptable'. The way they are set up made them very easy to toe-in and stop the squealing too.

Ultimately I'd like some old-skool, centre-pull BMX style brakes - but I haven't been able to find anything with a long enough reach to go around the big rubber - 110mm needed.

Thanks for the walkaround.... none of the local SE shops ever have these in-stock....which is probably good for my checking account balance. Bike looks great.

Just noticed, PlanetBMX stock level on the STR-29 is currently at 4 !

Get 'em while they're hot,
Jason

As of today, 12/26/2016, planetbmx.com has 9. And, i'm too broke and over-run with bikes to do anything about it....

According to their blog on Tumblr: "The 2017 SE Racing STR-29 Stu Thomsen Replica has become our most popular and fastest selling bike in our 10 year history."

Fastest-selling? I believe that. They sell-out of pre-orders so quickly? Most-popular? That's harder to believe, depending on how we define "popular..."
Cool bike for sure, though. They really nailed the colour scheme, the parts-spec, and the original-style wrap-around downtubes are killer! If this one was a 26" with the same geo as the 26" quad/OM Flyer, i'd probably buy one on credit anyway....

I bet they wrote it, and they could justify it by saying it sells out so quickly. But, it's among the more expensive and most exclusive bikes they've offered in recent memory. It'll never outsell the OM or even the various SE Fixies.

Back