Straight Bar Roadmaster - Opinions wanted!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Here is a possible find for me. Haven't commited to it, because I think it is a little high.
Can any give me an idea on age? I am thinking mid 50s????
Seat is rusted through. Chain is frozen. Every thing is covered in rust, but the frame is solid.
Forks look bent in the photo, but they are not. Still has some color on headbadge.
What do you guys think?

http://savannah.craigslist.org/bik/2927259887.html

Looks like 1950-1954, I agree the price is high based on condition as it would not be a good candidate for a cost effective resto but if you have other plans it may be a reasonable deal...but the fork does look slightly bent...

Right now he is only willing to come off about $10. He plans to take it to a car swap meet in a couple of weeks. I think I will just wait and see if it is still available after that. I was thinking $50 or so. I have other old frames that I still haven't touched. It would make a great rat build, but not the right price yet.

Thanks guys. I thought I was thinking right (and that scares me!).
If I didn't have some cool older frames to play with, I might have jumped for more.
We'll see if it hangs around.

Went out to see the bike today, planning on getting it for $60.
Man is it is ROUGH shape. Not only is it completely rusted, but the frame has crater like rust pits all over it. The front fork is bent bad. The headbage is actually in fair shape.

I really like the frame, but it was just sooooo bad. I told the guy I would be stretching to pay $40 for it in the condition it is in.
I didn't get it. Probably just as well. I've never seen a frame pitted so badly.

He did have a cool Ranger bike that looks just like a ladies Spaceliner. It was full and complete with probably ever extra one of those comes with. He wanted $200 for that. He should eventually get that for it if he is patient.

If the frame was pitted that bad it probably had a lot of rust inside the frame tubing also , you were right to pass on it

The way he found this was at an old building that had completely collapsed around itself years ago. The only thing standing was one wall and this bike was hanging on it for years exposed to the elements.

Kingfish, I have an idea. Everyone has heard of the "Ride-Along" programs your local police force has, to learn what they do. Here is my idea, you could start side business, called, "Pick-Along," where a fellow "Ratter" pays you a nominal fee to go along with you as you scout out two-wheeled treasures in your neck of the woods. It would be very educational for sure, maybe even become an accredited course and receive government funding. Just an idea that came to mind.

Kind of like the "Bicycle Hunter". We could were khaki safari shirts and shorts and yell "Crikey" when we spotted an elusive bike. We would have to be careful that we weren't punctured in the chest by a StingRay shifter.

kingfish254 said:
Kind of like the "Bicycle Hunter". We could were khaki safari shirts and shorts and yell "Crikey" when we spotted an elusive bike. We would have to be careful that we were punctured in the chest by a StingRay shifter.
....!!!! I love that even better!

Latest posts

Back