Stray Kat's Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some progress today. Was thinking about cutting the frame and thought. Why not use it as inspiration to build something new.

I got looking around the garage and found some hot rolled 3/4. I got it for a build I was gonna make at some point.
20230521_141955.jpg

Cut some lengths a bit longer than I thought I would need to have some length to play with.
20230521_133204.jpg

Rolled the ends to all match.
20230521_135456.jpg

20230521_142801.jpg

Have some head tube material around somewhere.

Attachments

• 20230521_135750.jpg
    20230521_135750.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Two inspiring builds at once, MC you are 'cruisin for a bruisin' on the arthritis scale! :21:

Two inspiring builds at once, MC you are 'cruisin for a bruisin' on the arthritis scale! :21:
Feelin Arthir quite well this morning after busting up some knuckles yesterday getting a top race off that would fit the shelby on a rusted bike in the pile . Felt like I hit a funny bone in the bad thumb this morning.

I've been planning out the rear triangle and should have some progress this weekend. I don't have a head tube reamer so I will probably be recycling two from the same pile.

Feelin Arthir quite well this morning after busting up some knuckles yesterday getting a top race off that would fit the shelby on a rusted bike in the pile . Felt like I hit a funny bone in the bad thumb this morning.

I've been planning out the rear triangle and should have some progress this weekend. I don't have a head tube reamer so I will probably be recycling two from the same pile.
I dont know if this would help your head tube issues, but I found a cheap alternative (that you are probably already aware of) is a used 3 stone master cylinder hone at a pawn shop. I went to $umm!t racing parts and found a new and complete one with the coarsest stones they had (220/240 grit) for $10. Just a thought....

I dont know if this would help your head tube issues, but I found a cheap alternative (that you are probably already aware of) is a used 3 stone master cylinder hone at a pawn shop. I went to $umm!t racing parts and found a new and complete one with the coarsest stones they had (220/240 grit) for $10. Just a thought....
That would be a good idea.

I used one when converting from 1 to 1-1/8 on a 37 CWC frame a couple winters ago, but that wasn't 4130. With the head tube stock I have being chromo, honing would take days.
20230521_142901.jpg

The last time I used this, I remember at the end stones broke off and I stapled some 60 grit sandpaper to it.
20230604_135529.jpg

So, upon more inspection, I found the tubing was cut with a roller cutter and had a lip on the inside. Past the lip it was 30mm. The cups are 30.2 mm.

With a bit od dremel grinding with a drum sander the lip has been removed and it looks like I should be able to press in cups. So I ordered a pair of matching headsets for 7 bucks each. Should be here today at the LBS .

Latest posts

Back