Stretched Boardtracker, DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm starting another build based on the fact that I regret selling the 1910 Imitation Harley (build here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64617&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=1910&start=30 ). That thing was a work of art (if I don't say so myself :wink: ). I tried to start another, but I just didn't like how it was turning out. It looked junky, and sloppy (build here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73295 ).

So, I'll be building this one closer in style to the 1910, but definitely not an exact replica. So, it's inspired by the 1910, which was itself inspired by Gaskill's Josephine (here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15079&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=josephine&start=30 ).

I started the frame the same way I did the 1910, with two mountain bike frames.

I put an old truss rod fork on it.

Now, with the 1910, I extended the fork to compensate for the new height, but this time, I took a torch to the rear, and brought it down. This is how it stands now.

Re: Stretched Boardtracker

Got a couple of hours this evening to add some tubing to the boardtracker. I go back and forth on this as to exactly which direction to go with this, but for now, I'm letting it tell me what it wants at each step.

More experimenting. Tucked a fender on there, just to see what it would look like. I generally avoid fenders, but this may have one on it. I also welded up a quick little thing to mess around with some bars options. I like the general idea of the pic, but not this configuration. Finally, I placed Crankset Leather's seat he made me on there. I like it so much, I may have to use it on it, and use my original long spring seat on my build off bike. You know, once the build off is over.

Really like the iconic lines of this build. I am new to posting and still trying to figure out how to put my build on. Appreciate your skills and fabricating abilities. I am from Anderson, Indiana.

A small update. I made some permanent mounts for the Skiptooth Leather seat pan. It just bolts right on there, and feels great. I sat on it, and pushed the bike down the street to get a feel for it. I even like where the bars are, though I do not like those particular bars. I'll be changing them somehow.

I wanted to go with cream tires, which is the obvious choice for a boardtracker, so I ordered the fatter 26x2.35 cream tires the Chimi sells here on this site. Problem is that they were a hair too fat for the frame, so I bought a regular set of small brick creams, and put them on.

This bike is going to have some sweet copper touches, including a tank and other parts, so I then started playing around with some copper piping and plumbing elbows for a cool set of bars. Here they are mocked up, but not soldered together yet.

Loving the bike Deven, those tires are the right choice for it! The seat and mount look spectacular and I love the idea of those early bars, got me thinking... :wink:
I am not sure I would trust copper tubing and elbows for handlebars by themselves, maybe you could build steel bars that the copper slides over before it is soldered up? :?:

Luke.

I've been thinking of doing something very different for the BB placement. See, the frame is an odd combination of low, but not stretched enough (the stretch is in the rear section), so that none of the positions in front of me are a comfortable position for the pedals. With that in mind, I decided to try putting the BB below and BEHIND me. This would allow me to comfortably lean forward on the bars, giving me the board track racer stance I want. But will it be ridable? I welded the BB on, thinking I could cut it off if it didn't work.

Look how close the BB is to the rear tire!!

So, the big question: is it comfortable, or not? It works. It's a little too close to the seat, so that I'm bending my knees quite a bit on the up swing. but the resting/coasting and down positions feel fine. I may try shorter cranks to see if that cures it. The other issue is that the location of the chainring makes the chain stays block the chain path (that's saying "chain" a lot). I'll have to add some kind of derailleur or tensioner under the stay to bring the chain around the tubing.

The experiment will continue.

:? :) :D :shock: Wow! What an idea! I had been thinking along similar lines with a saltlake racer style build idea I have been working on, but I was putting it further back in relation to the seat and could not get around the fact that it would have been rather uncomfortable to sit on the seat in that position, your idea might just solve my issue! Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Would love to see a pic with you sitting on it, to see how it work out...

Luke.

I fabricated a bracket today, welded it on, and mounted a skateboard wheel on it to help guide the chain. The wheel mounting was way more complicated then I'd care to say, and I'm not even happy with the finished product. I'll continue to work on it, but since it does work, I'll move on for now, and get back to it when inspiration strikes for a good solution. Besides, I ruined two skateboard wheels making this thing, and I don't think I have any more to spare.

The Renaissance Man said:
Looks cool.
Did you ride it yet? I'm waiting on a review of the geometry effect on pedaling!

I took it for a test ride today. The good news is that it is indeed ridable, and it's not too uncomfortable. It's not the best ride ever, for sure, but I think I'm on the right track. The two problems is that the upswing of pedaling bends my knee just a little too much, and I had to be conscience of not hanging my toes too far off of the front of the pedal.

One thing I'm considering is moving the seat up and forward a couple of inches. I really like where the seat is, but if I bring the front mounting bracket to the other side of the old seat post, then that might give me the room I need for comfortable pedaling.

Soldered together the handlebars today, and put some grips I had around. Took it for another test ride, and the bars seem to be holding my weight fine, despite some concerns to the safety of it. Continues to ride well, though I think I have decided to go ahead and move the seat up a bit. The cranks will be an additional two inches behind me, which is a risk, but I'm hopeful that it will also give my legs the room they need.

Latest posts

Back