Striped tires the whitewall alternative

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the longest ive been building i always tossed blackwalls in favor of whitewalls as i get older i realize white walls are to bold for me. i like to have a little of the hood flavor without throwing the bike off with the tires. so one day i took a sharpie to my tires and heres the result. the lettering was crooked not my stripe. for the guys with 26" cruisers dont cut the hanger where i did go all the way to the neck to the end or cut neck to neck and adjust later.

555oxj.jpg

with minor tweaking you can do this
av3510.jpg

tools youll need
paint marker(sharpie,deco-color,etc)
wire hanger
cutters
vise(to mount the wheel when you stripe use axle clamp to protect the threads. or just thread a nut and use that)
laquer thinner

before you do anything clean the tires with laquer thinner

what you wanna do is cut the hanger to length ive done this a few times which is why i cut it where i did for 20" but everyone else can cut the straight end out if you want.
1gq0ar.jpg

cut as so(20" wheel, cruiser guys cut to length)
10gzqqc.jpg

wrap one end of the hanger like so around the marker if you plan on making many sets squeeze it in if not the let it sit loose and use some silicone glue to hold it
1gg9hd.jpg

then measure it out from the axle
if short you might have to start over but just bend the hanger sraight
2saayrq.jpg

wrap it like this over the axle
2a9aa07.jpg

spin the wheel on the vise slowly till you get a even color all around
1ou552.jpg

this should be the end result
33nxe1f.jpg

you can also dress up your whitewalls
28i6c0y.jpg