Stripping paint and getting rusty...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm after some advice please.... I've acquired a lowrider frame, very heavy, definitely steel. I want to strip the paint off and let it rust. Anyone know the best technique to get the paint off? Also, i've heard that due to the nature of the steel in bike frames, it corrodes very fast and can actually start disintegrating quite fast. Is this true and is there a way to stop the corrosion once i've obtained the orange/brown rust effect i'm after.... Thanks very much, Ant

A lot of guys swear by aircraft stripper but it's pretty toxic and can't be used in-doors. Citri-strip is another option and is supposedly better for the environment and has no noxious smell. You can also pay to get it sandblasted. Check this thread for more: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66742&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

After it's stripped you'll want to spray a coat of clear on to seal it up and stop it from rusting even further. Hope that helps a bit.

strip it down to bare metal, sandblasting or chemical. then wipe the metal down with hydrogen pyorxide mixed with vinegar. you can get that nice rust in about 5 minutes.

sloar said:
strip it down to bare metal, sandblasting or chemical. then wipe the metal down with hydrogen pyorxide mixed with vinegar. you can get that nice rust in about 5 minutes.

I have used hydrogen pyroxide & muratic acid deluted with water, but the way I did it was with a spray bottle, spray the pyroxide first this basically cleans the metal, then with another spray bottle I used the muratic acid. I just kept spraying it over & over again until the desired effect was acheived.

Latest posts

Back