Strong 1 piece cranks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been seeing ALOT of posts in which people are looking for a 1 piece crank to replace their original that bent/broke.
I understand vintage and wanting to keep it original;
But, are you going to look at the thing or ride?
If you plan to ride you know that original was to weak if you are replacing it!!!!
Ashtabula and Tioga chromoly are the only 2 I ever found strong enough for me, not for jumping!!!
No 1 piece will hold up to jumping.
I have always steered people towards the 3 piece BMX cranks, used on craigslist I have found $20.00 generic with BB and pedals set ups. Profiles for $75.00 that I immediately resold.....
Anyway, know of any other 1 piece cranks that'll hold up to everyday riding?

I use Black Ops. I also have a set of Redline-branded opc's in 175 length. They all have served me well in JRA-type riding, plus I've ridden some trails (but nothing with any serious drops or anything). Nothing lasts forever, but both of these models have held up to frequent use by a 250lb rider. (Both models are chromoly).

HTH.
-rob

as a youngster and crash tester for a couple frame makers,we used the diamond cranks from schwinn lightweights.they were strong and long for the increased ground clearance.i can only remember bending one and that was jumping over a car.
this was back in the mid 70's.

find you some old Redline "big block" cranks.
Then try and find the bb and chainring( ive not found either in over a year now!!) :D :roll:

Just had a posting on Craigslist for a set of GT chromo 1 piece cranks, they were always pretty strong....
Thanks for the suggestions guys, never heard of Black Ops before.
The Schwinn triangle shaped cranks were tough.
The Redlines were pricey, better off finding Flights!~Probably cost less!
Takagi
Sugino
Astabula

all were strong, desirable bmx cranks.

Just found these, they look promising; https://images.danscomp.com/images/products/mid_453012.gif

Latest posts

Back