Stuck on Skinny

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'd like to do a skinny for this build off. But I'm concerned I've bitten off more than I can chew. With 2 off road builds already, work and house projects these next few months will be pretty full. I've also got a Muscle project in the works for this build off. My original skinny build plan was for the rustic Elgin. I've been doing some mock ups with it to see what I like, so far this looks cool:
IMG_1349.JPG

The plan calls for using some 27" wheels that I have with this 3 speed SA rebuilt into the rear. I'm not sold on these bars but have other options. I've got the skip tooth adapter cog for the hub and most of what else I need. What's going to take the time is making a fork mount for the headlamp I want to run, brackets to mount the rim brake calipers and, mostly, fabricating an aluminum tank. Plus I still need to learn to build wheels to make this happen.

I have another project option that might be less time consuming but distinctly less interesting. I built up this gravel bike on my dad's old hybrid, Spindatt style. It's a cool bike. I haven't ridden it much and never got the brifters to work quite right. I came across this cool old Fuji touring bike for $20. It's ugly and had no usable parts on it but I like the lugged frame and the fork so I've been planning to transfer my gravel build to this frameset and utilize the downtube shifters with the brifters becomming just brake levers.
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG

I'd welcome opinions here. Do I do the interesting vintage build, the gravel bike or hold off for another build off?

Last edited:
It is taking a fair amount more time than anticipated, but that is normal with me. I'm holding off on the skinny build for now. If I have time later when some of these others are nearly done I'll get into that. I'll try to keep it simple if (when) I do a skinny build.

I was tempted by a skinny build, but no 20"/24" bike I have seen looks skinny

But I do have some 700/27/28 or something rims hanging unloved on my wall...

Latest posts

Back