stuck Seat post removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was an old trick we used to use for getting big props off boats, we would heat the prop up till it was good and warm and then freeze the shaft with freon . not only did it expand/shrink the parts, but also formed condensation in the joint and help lubricate it for a few minutes to pull it off...

maybe a hairdryer and some hair spray or butane would do the same for a seat post.... :roll:

Looks like you want to save the paint and not use heat. Put the seat tube in a vise and spin the frame for leverage. Pre soak the post and keep moist with penetrating fluid that won't eat your paint. Gently keep working the frame back and forth until free. If really stuck, let sit with a soaking and go back later and try again. You can also give the seat tube a sharp blow with a hammer to get the fluid to flow into the frozen areas the split second the hammer blow shocks the metal. Don't go too fast and ruin anything. Take your time and analize as you go. I can usually save the tube also. Any damaged area of the tube can be cut off cleanly with a plumbers pipe cutter. Best wishes and good luck. You can do it!

this particular frame ,has passed' threw my shop.
that post isn't the original; somebody along the way:
drove a post into the frame.
i'd say..go with it as/is. :mrgreen: :idea: :arrow:

Latest posts

Back