Stupid People shouldn't bre...yardsale!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a yardsale Saturday and I didn't get rich but sold a few things, so this guy pulls up and bought some bike parts and was looking at my Redline 24" cruiser and asked if he could try it out, I figured sure, your car is here and your family is in the car, so he takes off around the block and comes back and he's asking about some other bike stuff, and made conversation asking if I could true wheels ect. so after he took off and I am putting the bikes away I notice the rear wheel is tweaked :x :x :x and then a neighbor hood kid came by later talking about how he was trying to do 360's an failing miserably in front of his house. Well I guess its time to put my wheel truing skills to practice :oops:

I wouldn't even have let him ride the bike :shock: People ask me all the time but I say NO :wink: Unless its somone I knew :wink: Is the wheel the only problem it had :?:

That stinks... Sorry. :(

Gold Street Customs said:
Normally I don't, but since I was selling it.
Yeah, same here. Sometimes I cringe when people go through 10 gears in 2 seconds. Then the chain falls off sometimes and they think the bike is at fault when the novice actually is...

... Or people test riding road bikes off-road.

I like when I get to ride a bike before I get it which if I didn't ride the Murray Santa Cruz before I got it then I wouldn't of been able to see that green Spaceliner Klunker that was on the other side of his building but you do have to be careful and only allow people to do so if they ride it in front of you.

I always have a "you break it, you bought it" policy. I hold cash or collateral, then you can ride it. AFTER inspection you get your cash or collateral back. I have done this since I was selling a moped and the guy got hit by a car on his test ride. He got out of it with a broken arm and did voluntarily pay me for it a week later but still.....It was a wake up call for me.

You guys are TOO NICE! I have NOT let anybody "test ride" my bikes, "test drive" my RC cars, are use anything of mine in years except for two or three guys. I moved and the one fella lost communication, but the other two and I have been the best of friends since 4th grade. I have this rule because I have had tools stolen, thing vandalized, nobody puts the kickstand down :x . IT PAYS TO BE PARANOID!

ok for those of you that don't allow test drives on bicycles for sale, i have a few questions.
did you test drive your last car or motorcycle? if so would you have bought it if ya didn't?
do you expect to test drive new cars? you know they are worth a lot more than your bicycle.
what about when at the store? do ya open boxes to check stuff out? turn things on to see if they work?
i just wanna know if your grumpy or a hypocric. :wink: :lol: :wink:
i mean ya have to protect yourself thats for sure, but if you told me i couldn't ride a bike i had cash to buy, i'd start thinking "what's wrong with it? and why won't he let me ride it?"
no test drive and i'm offering you 1/2 to cover my butt.
that being said, i'm not letting em take the bike around the corner outta my sight so they can attempt 360's. sorry to hear that goldstreet, but i have no doubt in my mind, its something you can take care of in an afternoon-hey he just gave ya something to do.
ya must have looked bored. :wink: :wink: :wink:
we live in a word of try me buttons, test drives and free trail periods, in a buyer beware mindset.
a no test drive policy is like cutting off your own testicals when it comes to selling a bike.

I've sold some recumbents to middle aged people that haven't been on a bike in 20 years. There is definitely a learning curve on some of these bikes. I always do a few things first.
1) I say a prayer for them.
2) I always have witness, for when I tell them they're riding at their own risk.
3) I ALWAYS have a bike ready to follow them on.

Following, or riding with them gives you the opportunity to answer any questions they have, or let them know if they're doing anything wrong. I was selling a pair of 3 spd Columbias last year. Woman only wanted one. After we rode around the block, she bought them both.

icyuod2 said:
i mean ya have to protect yourself thats for sure, but if you told me i couldn't ride a bike i had cash to buy, i'd start thinking "what's wrong with it? and why won't he let me ride it?"
+1

If I'm willing to pay top dollar, I deserve to know what I'm getting before I pay up.

In no way could I reject someone desiring a test ride. It doesn't matter if the bike is for $5 or $150, I just couldn't...

Numerous times I've had people go for test rides and they'd be gone out of my sight for minutes... Probably 5 minutes at most. But when I see their vehicle in my driveway, I know it's all good... as far as stealing goes. They come back, say they love it, and hand me the cash.

However, if I had an experience like some of you had been through with test rides, I would be hesitant. If I caught someone abusing one of my bikes, I wouldn't be very happy.

One bad apple can ruin the batch but you have to have faith that all of the other ones are good.

Latest posts

Back