sturmey archer help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody familiar with a S.A. that wants to pop out of second gear? It seems like the cable is adjusted correctly, but it still wants to pop out to a neutral position, then seems to catch the gear again, but it's really annoying. Thanks

if its turning in 1st and 3rd i dont think youve got any internal problems. I know the window of adjustment to get the bike into 2nd gear seems to be the trickiest to get though, id oil it and play with the adjustment some more.

if you notice the shifter has a lot of pull to get from 3rd to 2nd and about 1/4 as much to get from 2nd to first, when it starts slipping on me, i usually tighten it. old sturmey AW models anyway

The cable has a tiny bit of stretch over time, so it's needs a small adjustment every now and then. I put it in 3rd and adjust the cable to where it just has a tiny bit of slack. The neutral area is between 2nd and 3rd, so you can adjust going by the neutral spot, just adjust away from it. Unless the hub is bad, but from all my experience, it's probably the lubrication and adjustment.

Back