Sturmey archer help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just scored a 24" set of wheels from the trash pile down the road, the rear hub is a Sturmey Archer 3 speed but it appears to be malfunctioning. It freewheels and coasts but in the wrong direction :?
Feels kinda loose when freewheeling too, no distinct clicking either. I'll try to get some pics later for reference. If memory serves me right it's a 1970's model. I'll confirm the year later.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've never torn into one before and to tell the truth it scares me.

the hardest thing for me about those hubs is just getting the hub apart :x

sounds like a problem somewhere around parts 30-36 to me, unless the freewheel catches are stuck

REF_SAAW.GIF

Thanks for the tips guys, This will be my first multi speed hub rebuild. I'm excited to see just how they work. I might be missing a few parts, I know I need to get the gear change chain thingy. Anyone know where to get parts?

Like i said before, the hard part is just getting the thing apart (Part no.14) is usually froze on if the hub has had a hard life. You may be able to just pull the axle bearings and driver out and flush the hub out to try to free it up inside. You can still get to all the bearings and grease them up by doing this, the rest of the guts inside just get oiled. If you do get it all the way apart, the only tricky thing is not losing the little freewheel catch springs, that and not dropping any of the loose ball bearings inside the hub putting back together.

if everything comes apart alright, plan on spending an hour your first time to get it back together.

this guy has some good vids on those hubs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc

Thanks, I'll probably study the video a few times before i attempt it. It's a bit intimidating having never done it before but I'm always apt to learn something new. If I can get it right it might make it onto my build off bike.

heres the diagram for the coaster model, i havent worked on a coaster version before, looks a little different but more of the same.

s3c1.gif

Oh crud, the S3C is a coaster brake.....Well I am missing the brake arm too..... :? Oh well looks easy enough to make something to work........Or maybe I should just hang onto it for parts? :?

I rode past there again and the guy flags me down and says he found the shifter that goes with the wheels I picked up the other day! Sweet score, a grip shift for a Sturmey Archer 3 speed! And a set of mini apes, some funky blue grips, a cheap stem, and a mirror with broken glass that is all rusty and ratty still attached to it. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back