Sturmey Archer knowledge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys and gals, wanted to share a little I relearned about sturmey hubs, and pretty much all 3 speed coasters.
The brake arm cannot move! Not wiggle, jiggle, or turn, must have a tight frame strap or it will work the wheel cones loose.
The next part is where I got smarter!
Sturmey uses a different anti-rotation washer then shimano. It has 2 tabs that go into the drop out slot. There are 2 different sizes, 4.7 mm and 9.5 mm. I believe all slotted dropouts are 9.5 mm! So my hub was constantly working itself loose on one side, and stripping the nut on the other and the cones were loosening!
My axle was on the short side running an aluminum frame, axle adjusters, and their washers so....
I got online, which led me to Sheldon Brown. When they did not list a longer axle for my hub I shot them a message.
They were more than helpful! Not only did they give me the part # for my axle, they told me about the washers, and gave me a part #!
I searched online using Sturmey #s and found all my parts in England! Go figure, but the company was awesome! $12.00 shipping....10 days!
Without further ado; Sturmey Archer #2802 are the 9.5mm serrated lock washer, you will need 2, and if not running axle adjusters, I would see if I could run 2 per side.
Except for all out acceleration I love the Sturmey hubs, and even then, they make Shimano look like junk!

I love me some Sturmey Hubs, too. I also have deep respect for Harris Cyclery, where Sheldon used to work. Another online retailer that stocks a lot of Sturmey goods in biketoolsetc.com. They ship fast, too, and their site is more accessible/user-friendly, but a phone call to Harris will sort you out just as well.

Yea, those special slotted dropout axle retainers(a mouthful) are a key
way to keep it together better, and work great with micro-adjusters.
You could also use the drive side cone locking tabs if thin enough for the dropouts. Just flip them around into the dropouts. I haven't had much problem with the axle nuts coming loose, particularly if blue locktight-ed.
Love the s3c, tcw, tcwIII. Very versatile hubs overlooked by many.
ff51df5c-ea69-4096-bd28-a67179fc799c_zps90552aa2.jpg

Latest posts

Back