Suck it Antique road show!!!! :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(You mean since I made it so I can ride it, its not worth a million dollars. ...., sure is gonna look bad ... though. :) lol)

Well this is the start of my first build. Its a Elgin of unknown in the process of knowing the history. I don't plan on doing much, just cleaning her up a little, keeping all the sweet patina and then searching for the cream Felts, finding some bars, and find a seat. :roll: and a light coat of wax.

I bought this bike with the frame being bent. But I got it to straighten out tonight. Furthermore It happens that the crank arm was a little bent to and this made the frame look way worse than it was, but a little strength and it looks like everything is going to be all good.

Pics as progress is made, not much. First build :mrgreen:

First pic, what I started with. Front wheel not pictured.
bikes003.jpg

chain guard straightened and wire brushed.
Elgin002.jpg

frame cleaning up nicely
Elgin003.jpg

rear wheel, needs attention
Elgin005.jpg

Handle bars? - Well, its whatever I can get my hands on at the moment. Handlebars can change whenever :)

Tires- Cream Felt Quick bricks

Seat- What ever goes and is comfy....a hairpin brooks maybe

I was inspired by this bikes vintage looks of patina, I'm pretty sure I found this pic on this forum and the owner doesn't get mad at me posting it.

SCHWINN.jpg

After I PMed you back I thought about the creme Schwalbe fat franks. They're easy to get a hold of, wider than felts, and ride great. The only drawback is the sidewalls have a painted stripe of reflective paint. I still think they would look great on your bike though.
bikes111.jpg

I saw those tires and they are my second choice :) I think I might of found a plug for some FELT's local :mrgreen:

Uh oh, don't let the masses know that you can get a hold of creme felts. It's like the old hitchcock movie "the birds" they're all watching you now :lol: J/K. Another cool tire is made by electra, it's white with diamond patterns on it. I'm not sure if you can order them other than on the bike though, they won't return my email.

I actually held a set of cream Electra Tires with diamond tread yesterday at a LBS....lol....I really want FELT's though...

I bought a set of cream felts the other day.... Take offs from a 1903 with shipping the dang things cost me $100.... but I got em :D

First off.....Id like to thank Skoda for the rad bars that are going togo on this Bike. Well.....after a lot of bending and a little scrubbing....I took the US Royal chains that where on the DX I just picked up and put them on the Elgin for a little mock up and to see if I needed to do a little more bending(cream FELTS have been ordered and will be here next week). I also put the seat that came on the DX on it because it was old and looked like the patina on it match the patina on the chain guard. Well a little more work needs to be done and little more bending I think....I'm going to be looking for a New Departure front hub because the person before miss threaded the axle bolts.

The bars that Skoda hooked it up!!!!!!(weren't on the mock up, hooked up after)
Elgin014.jpg

pics of the mock up.
Elgin006.jpg

Elgin009.jpg

Back