Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone up for the summer build off #15?
I realize it’s early but just curious if there’s any other bike geeks out there planning to throw something together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had an old Schwinn frame stashed for a few months but traded it off for parts and a repop Columbia that I'm building in the Unofficial March Shootout while I wait for the Big Build Off #15. I do have an almost complete Spaceliner and a couple ideas that have nothing to do with a banana seat or apehangers. So yeah I get bored waiting for buildoffs to start, that's how the Shootout got started.

Carl.

I already have some ideas & parts collected.

Bought these two frames for 5$ each.
82594625_2560321850746447_5263431405626458112_n.jpg

Beige/Rusty one is a 1971 Romet Kobuz.
4fc4f0c3455bbd099d92fcfde8a9

It originally was a 28" wheels size, 3-4 speed tourist bike (smaller predecessor of my Romet Wagant). Plans are to make a resto-mod for it, with turn more into a sturdy & simple Gravel Bike.

The blue one is the only ever produced in Poland full size cruiser, The ZZR (Sold abroad as Universal/Tyler brand) Korlis, probably from 1961.
rower-zzr-cantilever-korlis-tyler-romet-29208554.jpg

My plan is to turn the frame from ladies to men's, and also a resto-mod with a lot of old-school & original parts, and a lot of new parts. There are some problems, like the emblem is super worn (that means restoring the graphics from pictures & scratch, nobody here is making replacement emblems for those, since they are very rare), and the seat tube on the frame is broken loose at the bottom witch I will try to fix without welding. Still need to buy some parts for it, like the original fenders, a proper steering bar, a classic cruiser style springer fork, and most importantly I will try to look for the original rocket-style headlight, witch is super expensive (around 75-100$) and hard to find.

Not sure if I will join in this year. Our first grand baby is due the end of March and our son and daughter-in-law have said they want me to make a bunch of wooden toys for the little guy. Plus I have some serious yard work that I put off doing last year to participate in Build-Off #14. LOL
I have plans to work on my Monarch Thunderbird project some more this year and also install a Nexus 3 speed wheel set onto last year's Spaceliner build, but these are previously started projects and I don't think qualify.
If I do join in on BO #15, it would be to fix up the Fuji Folder I picked up last year with intentions of doing a resto-mod for this year's BO project. My oldest son has taken a liking to it and has laid claim to the finished bike (folder will be easier to store in their apartment). His Birthday is in late April, so this one may get green lighted to be ready for that.

IMG_20190825_123533.jpg

I'm in @MazdaFlyer / Ed. Picked up this Shelby Airflow frame last summer. Collecting parts and Shelby info the past few months. I've got some ideas about how the build will take shape, and always open to inspiration !
68265935_687256631792097_1423068225901428736_n.jpg

I'll be in. I don't know what I'll start with this year yet. What are the rest of my BO15 (as in boyz) planning to build?????

I'll be in. I don't know what I'll start with this year yet. What are the rest of my BO15 (as in boyz) planning to build?????
Hard to know for sure...if it happens, may depend on rules this year. Thinking about getting a flux welder.
I have the David Bradley hoods and a ‘55 Hawthorne, a ‘48 Hiawatha, a ‘30 something Excelsior and a ‘30 something possible Columbia, also an older JC Higgins roller. These would all be rebuilds/refurbish/modify projects. The Hiawatha has pretty good original paint but is heavy for sure.
Guess I’ve done ten of these build off bikes so far. I’ve sold one of them, cannibalized some parts from a couple. Some of them have taken home awards from bike shows and car shows, and a few peer award props from the build forums here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This will be my 10th big build off

That's why I never went to college. Plus there are no schools to teach you how to work on bikes :21:
Actually i am studying product design, kind of that thing :D It is the third time i went to university, never finished the first two :) But this time i am going to graduate, and i am working on a super fun bike related project for my diploma. I am building machines to recycle hard plastics into bike parts. Going to produce pedals out of HDPE bottle caps.
The bike scene had quite some influence on me choosing the direction. Everybody on the cruises was like "if i were still young, i'd go study something bike related, like design or something" :)

Last edited:
@Starnger , it would appear that this forum might be a good testing ground for some of your re-Cycle-d bike parts. :grin: We could be, you know,
Lab-RaTs. :21:
As soon as i get some good results to show, i will make a post about it here for sure :) For now it is just a bit too early to reveal it, i got some sketchy first prototypes and pile of hardware to become machines :)

@MazdaFlyer and @kingfish254 , how do you get all of your builds listed in your Signature line? I got to 4 lines, and it said it exceeded the capacity of the "Signature"?
Did you use a small font size for the letters?

And this coming RRB BO #15 will be my 6th Summer Build-Off entry, my 15th bike I've built during a big or theme build off.

Over Christmas break, I picked up a Ross Polo Bike project that is currently sitting at my parents' house (which is 3 states away) till I have a chance to go retrieve it. I'm also in the process of acquiring an old JC Higgins with an awesome tank and tons of character. Additionally, I have at least three or four 26-inch cruiser builds that have had parts robbed off them or just aren't getting ridden, and I've been thinking about ways to remix them. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll throw my hat in the ring one way or another.

@MazdaFlyer and @kingfish254 , how do you get all of your builds listed in your Signature line? I got to 4 lines, and it said it exceeded the capacity of the "Signature"?

And this coming RRB BO #15 will be my 6th Summer Build-Off entry, my 15th bike I've built during a big or theme build off.

It's been a while since I edited my signature. Smaller fonts probably help. I seem to remember it being a mix of character limits and real estate limits. Probably to keep someone's sig from taking up 5 inches per post.

Don’t know, the long one was done with browser at RatRodBikes web page. Years ago there seemed to be a short limit. The current one I’ve just added build names to it as they happen. I ought to condense it...
A lot of stuff I post using TapaTalk, its just the default signature.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Summer build off?
I wasn't going to,..... But........ I have had an idea..... And I have just sold the Streamliner, so I have room, and budget......

Do I have the time?

Maybe I could do a quick turn around group 1 bike, I mean, that shouldn't escalate into a full custom build should it!?......

Dot dot dot

Latest posts

Back