Summer father son project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a build this summer with my 15 year old son. Anything to get him away from video games and the internet. I've been trying to do some learning ahead of time. It seems the more I read, the more confused I get about how to proceed. I don't know if I should buy a full bike in a box kit, or custom frame made for motors. So much info. I really like the re-pop schwinn panther straight bar frame that is sold on eBay/Amazon. I'd love to do a board track style bike.

Shop around and peruse your local Craigslist for used bikes for frame/fork or just for parts. Find a frame you like, then find a decent parts bike or two and build away. Also visit your local bike shop frequently and ask to see their "throwaway" bins for parts you can pick up cheap. If you build a good relationship with one or two of the people there, you may find that they will call you when they get something old in. Another place is local recycle yards. They don't give much for scrap bikes due to them being "dirty" or mixed metals along with rubber/plastic. Yard sales usually have cheap bikes, as do auctions, police sales, etc. Learn the trash collection patterns and drive them the night before...Half the fun is searching/finding parts.

Agreed.

Sometimes you can collect enough cool old parts to build a great bike, that's quality built and not Chinese mass produced for about the same price as the box stores or Amazon.

An example of this is my build off bike, rELEVENt setback. Its a cool one off race inspired bike, with less than $200 invested.

Poke around the site a bit, you'll see all kinds of low budget rideable art.

What I do is come up with an idea first (like you board Track racer idea), then set out to find parts that fit that vision. Just be prepared to change plans on the fly when something in your head does not work out in reality. I am doing something like that now and so far all I have is a Worksman frame, a cool chain ring and a vision. But it will all come together eventually. But most important of all have fun with it.

JimK

Last edited:
I'd love to see it, is there pics somewhere?
Agreed.

Sometimes you can collect enough cool old parts to build a great bike, that's quality built and not Chinese mass produced for about the same price as the box stores or Amazon.

An example of this is my build off bike, rELEVENt setback. Its a cool one off race inspired bike, with less than $200 invested.

Poke around the site a bit, you'll see all kinds of low budget rideable art.

See what style bike your son is into, remember it's his build - to keep him engaged.
I agree with the posts above, finding used bikes and tearing them down is half the fun.

Latest posts

Back