Super Fueler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've wanted to start this build a number of times, but I had problems with the internals of the shifter. It's been years in the making, but I finally had a breakthrough, so I can get it done. I present to you the Super Fueler. It's a 1969 Huffy Super Stock that will be modified in several ways. I hope you enjoy the journey!

Let's start with the shifter. A Huffy Twin Stick is very rare and extremely expensive. Years ago a friend got one that was a derelict at best. I've restored a number of shifters, so I worked out a deal to buy his. I knew it was bad, but oh boy. It was bad!

DSCN1910.JPG

DSCN1912.JPG

DSCN1911.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

The pitting on the console was bad. The "wood" panel was rusted away, and the plastic view port was scratched and cloudy.
DSCN1921.JPG

DSCN1920.JPG

Replacement parts are non-existent. As you can see above, the cable that connects the shift arm to the indicator was rusted away and frayed. What you don't see is that the spring underneath the indicator was rusted beyond restoration, and it broke. Also, the cable jockey was brittle. It broke years later when I was testing a cable. The work on the shifter restoration has been ongoing for a few years.

I soaked the parts in Evaporust.
DSCN1917.JPG

I soaked the console in muriatic acid to remove the chrome.
DSCN1922.JPG

I sent the console away to a guy I know that plates plastic. I had the main parts of the shifter chromed.

The two biggest problems I had with the shifter were unresolved for years. I need to say that without @JNOACK this build wouldn't be happening. I sent Jay the remnants of the indicator cable, and he recreated it, including make the correct barrel end size, which isn't made anymore. When the plastic jockey broke, Jay 3D printed a replacement!

J1.jpg

J2.jpg

Lastly, I had to recreate spring which makes the whole indicator system work. This was done with considerable trial and error, but I finally got one working.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

So... now that the shifter has made it over its large obstacles, I can push forward and start building.

I've had this wheel for a long time. I don't think it's made anymore, because I was going to get another and can't find one.

DSCN1887.JPG

My original plan was to affix chrome hub caps over the wheel. I cut the fins off that you see to better fit the hubcaps. But, after a lot of experimentation I couldn't get the hubcaps to look good, so I abandoned that idea. So I'm going to press on without them.

Super cool work thus far.

I fit the rear wheel with the 180mm disc attached. The disc didn't have clearance, so I had to hammer in some clearance.

wheel2.jpeg

clear1.jpeg

clear2.jpeg

clear3.jpeg

Did I mention the wheel was an 8-speed cassette wheel? i installed a derailleur hanger to test clearance for the 8-speed SRAM cassette I bought for it. As you can see just below the red hub center, the mounting bolt is rubbing on the edge of the cassette, so I had to make some modifications.
fdhsjf.jpg

I fit the rear wheel with the 180mm disc attached. The disc didn't have clearance, so I had to hammer in some clearance.

View attachment 211304

View attachment 211305

View attachment 211306

View attachment 211309

Did I mention the wheel was an 8-speed cassette wheel? i installed a derailleur hanger to test clearance for the 8-speed SRAM cassette I bought for it. As you can see just below the red hub center, the mounting bolt is rubbing on the edge of the cassette, so I had to make some modifications.
View attachment 211313
Didn't see that coming 😲

I have a caliper for the disc brake. I bought a mount for it. Originally I was going to install it behind the seat stay. But I realized that it will interfere with the suspended sissy bar. So, its going to have to mount between the stays.

brake.jpg

brake1.jpeg

Here's the mount, but it doesn't fit, of course. I'll have to use it as a template to make a similar one at work.
M1.jpg

I have a caliper for the disc brake. I bought a mount for it. Originally I was going to install it behind the seat stay. But I realized that it will interfere with the suspended sissy bar. So, its going to have to mount between the stays.

View attachment 211314

View attachment 211315

Here's the mount, but it doesn't fit, of course. I'll have to use it as a template to make a similar one at work.
View attachment 211316
The nice thing with mounting it between the stays is then you don't need a secondary brace there.

The nice thing with mounting it between the stays is then you don't need a secondary brace there.
Yes, but maybe a bigger concern is how I’m going to route the brake cable. It needs to run through the twin stick for the drag brake. So I’ll have to come up with a way to get it down to the caliper.

Man you are thinkin way outta the box on this one. I like the way you fix obstacles with a hammer. I am havin fun just watching.

Latest posts

Back