Superbe, Hollywood,Camaro,Wasp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Friday was Superbe. I hit the Kijiji ad on Thursday night and took a short streetcar ride Friday with pump, wrench and oil in hand to rescue the old Raleigh from it's outdoor resting spot. I rode it home and gave it the attention it needed. It's a real nice rider now and the most practical of my bikes.

and then Sunday was Superb too. A fellow posted an ad on Kijiji earlier in the week with 3 old bikes and accepted my trade propsal.
When he dropped the bikes off today it resulted in a full day for me and a fuller stable. I gave a couple of bikes the once over and left the third for further deliberation.
I got a little Hollywood and cruised the new Camaro.
The Huffy cleaned up quite well, has a clean light and lense package and rides great after all bearings were cleaned and greased.

....and the bike that got my attention initially was this ratty old Wasp. I believe it to be '55-'56 and will make for a cool project. You just gotta love that custom copper hammer finish.:banghead:
I'm guilty of trying this kind of paint on a spare frame too though.
I sanded a bit of the paint on the Schwinn to see what I had to work with under the hammer finish, and it appears it has gone to bare metal in the past so the future finish is wide open.:39:
Is there a story behind this chainring style that Schwinn used on these? Appreciated, Thanks

Last edited:
Can't see the chain ring very well. Probably just a standard 52T Phantom ring. They made a similar style prewar, and changed to this style in '46. Gary

Can't see the chain ring very well. Probably just a standard 52T Phantom ring. They made a similar style prewar, and changed to this style in '46. Gary

Thanks for the info Gary.
It's the first Phantom style Schwinn ring that I've come across in the handful of Schwinns that I've had.

Cool finds! What's the VIN number on the Camaro?

After stripping the paint from the Wasp yesterday and servicing bearings, I chose to go the rusted rat route.
There was no paint under the copper paint except what remains on the chain guard.
Today I taped and sprayed a set of scallops on frame and fenders....

....and then treated the bike to a peroxide solution shower.

Tonight I clear coated and found a seat post and clamp in the parts bins. Excuse the night shot.
The bike came with a set of nice chrome S2s, but I have an older painted pair of S2s at a friends that should suit the bike better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back