"Superbike" Score,... Specialized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this is the once in a lifetime bike for me, A bike of this magnitude at this price, last time I had a full on full suspension bike was back In 96. I saw a Diamondback V-Link hanging in the window of my local BS, I had to have it, went back and bought it right then, I did a lot of mountain bike trail riding back in the 90's. Thing looked like pure technology hanging there, I was 20 years old. I spotted this 2011 Specialized Epic Elite FS bike on C-List back last week, there are bikes then there are superbikes, and this falls under the later. Started texting back and forth with the guy who owned it, he paid over 3,800 dollars for it when he bought it new back in 2012. He gently rode it all of twice and hung it on a rack in the spare room of his very nice home, said he had really gotten into cycle cross and just didn't need it. It literally doesn't have one scratch anywhere on it and is in mint condition, I gave him 8 Benjamins for it and got it at a steal to say the least. Top of the line XTR everything, he added a few upgrades as soon as he bought it, this thing rides and handles like a 450 dirt bike. Rock Shox SID forks, Fox rear shock, Sram Carbon fiber S-2200 cranks, really like how the new style head set is on this, tapered roller bearing, no more pressed in bearing cups, 1-1/8" on the top of the fork tube and 1-1/2" on the bottom, this thing is sick. My buddy at the local Specialized dealer here in town told me that when you go to watch the Pro's race, this is what they are riding, full blown race bike. I took it and had my suspension set up for my weight and got it dialed in. These wheels in deep candy red are super trick, I am ecstatic to say the least, catch my self just starin and glarin at this thing, super rad bike. I got the suspension set up for my weight and riding style, gonna be headed out to my local trail on Saturday morning with a buddy to take er for a spin.

Last edited:
Nice looking ride!
I have to admit that most of what you are talking about just goes straight over my head, I had no idea you could tune suspension to suit your weight, and carbon cranks? What?

Very cool bike, and it looks like it found the right buyer who will appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Haa Haa!:rofl: Thanks Luke, in other words this thing is basically the Lambo of race bikes. Only one step up from this one is a full carbon frame which I do not want, this one is what they call "M5 Manipulated Aluminum" If feels super light and fast!

Last edited:
Cool old low-mile mtb!! Superb components are what matters w/this bike for that price. Nice score! Be aware that an aluminum race-oriented mtb's with low to no miles are rare. We now know that aluminum tubes break and welds fail after a certain amount of flex cycles. Rider weight and aggressiveness is a huge factor leading to alu frame failure as well. It is a race bike, and this frame is not one designed to abuse or jump around on, so be gentle. As for carbon fiber, it is the future of all bike frame materials, and the technology today is quietly eliminating short-life aluminum, especially as the cost of carbon frames plunges in the future. Nice piece of Specialized hardware you have there, enjoy it and check your weld beads after hard rides!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice SILVERKINGPC, fortunately the trails around here are pretty mild, mostly rooty but other then than short and technical it seems, she's a nice rider. I wasn't able to take it in the trails yesterday because it was a bit to muddy but did get some ride time in down town on it. One thing I do like about the newer high end aluminum frames is how they make the head tube. It has a tapered race with and tapered bearing kinda like a boat trailer hub, no more pressed in head cups that will eventually split the aluminum. The head tube on this bike is made really thick.

Last edited:
Sweat ride at a great price you got to love it when a deal comes your way basically it sounds like it was new old stock just hanging on the rack . Got to get that bad boy over to tsali and ride it hard .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks G-Matt

Thanks rrtbike.

Carbon fiber has its share of failure issues, as well. Usually without warning.

That's an incredible deal! Nicer than anything I've ridden. If you haven't tried them, I highly recommend clip-in pedals. I ignored people who told me that for years and when I finally tried them I could've kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I didn't find them at all difficult to get used to as I feared and it allows you to really spin over obstacles by pulling up and using the whole pedal cycle for power. And, if you're out of shape like me, you can use different muscle groups and give others a break to go farther.

Great looking bike and a great price!

Im a MTB guy myself. Are those 29" wheels?

I love red rims!
Here is my baby....
IMG_1696_zps734963e4.jpg

Nice, Yeti makes and awesome mountain bike, mine is a 26" I just don't care for the 29er's, I'm 26 all the way.

Great looking bike, let's see it with some mud splatters:). Let us know how the ride goes.

Agree on the pedals, I prefer clips. We grew up calling them pedal cages in bmx. You can really dig when you have power on the upstroke.

I went for a 29er never rode one but I bought It anyway . Thankful I love it
3f46a17695e91ca9b4aa5c1eeae145cb.jpg

I ride a 69er! Heh heh, 26 in back, 29 in front. Full rigid custom build.

Great score. You sound super stoked.

Latest posts

Back