Superia Speedy Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another single speed conversion using a 1997(?) Huffy Superia mountain bike. This bike is so old it was Made in the USA shortly before Huffy went bankrupt.

I remember thinking I should buy stock in Huffy when it was $10/share. I didn't but I watched the price drop to $3 in days, then to .30$, then the bankruptcy. 20 years ago next month. Name bought up by Pacific to use on chinese bikes at the big box stores. As bad as Huffys were in the 1960s to 2004, their newer "Easy Build" bikes have regained the lead in the "worst bike ever" competition. "No tools needed for assembly" on the boxes, the bikes just snap together. Every joint is so wobbly it's hard to see how any kid could learn to ride on them.

No cable guides on this bike to cut off so no paint touch up needed. The cables ran inside the frame. Full length cable housing for extra friction. The front derailleur cable has an up swing so it was rusted solid. Oversize frame tubes, not your typical 1" tubes throughout. Should make the bike ride a little better. tossed the sprockets, rear hub, derailleurs, brakes, cables and oem heavy rims.

I used some aluminum boxmart bike rims that I primed and painted in Halloween orange. Tis the season. Boo. I didn't have any green spray paint.

The oem steel rims weigh in at 1,055 grams (2.34 pounds) each! Holy boat anchors batman. Good substitute for concrete galoshes. The boxmart aluminum rims are 400 grams.

added: 36h coaster hub, green Roadmaster bars, sprocket and overly padded seat from the parts bins.

Just need to add a chain and pedals and it's ready to roll.

before, nearly done.

Huffy.Super1A.K6667--9093711F0914 (1).jpg

Huffy.Superia (4).JPG

Latest posts

Back