Susan’s City Slicker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epic build. Huge undertaking from a landfill with a bent frame!

I think my black one I’m doing for this years’ BO is also a ‘73 Sports.

everything looks awesome. The brake levers and wheels are super nice upgrades.

super classy, highly functional bike!

The rear had a SA AW 3 speed hub circa 1960.
I'll be using that vice advice for the cranks. Looks like the bike I found is a similar year if not the same but my hub said 74 9, which I assumed from what I've read here to be the only way to find a year(?). Did you need to take the rear hub apart to restore it and if so was it complicated?

I have taken 3 of them apart. All three of them were extremely clean on the inside. I don’t think I solved anything other than satisfying my curiosity. Next time I doubt I will bother taking it apart. You can just add a few drops of oil to the oil port and likely everything will be fine.

Was it complicated? Yes. But with YouTube and a little patience you can do it.

My understanding is by design they didn’t even use grease in the axle bearings. Everything was just oiled. I did add grease to the axle bearings but nothing else. No grease on the internals. I read some advice about using a synthetic grease on axle bearings and a petroleum oil on the internals. That way the two products don’t melt into on another. Or maybe it was synthetic oil and petro grease.

Important thing is oil and only oil on the internals.

The front wheel is quirky too. Make sure you look that up. I put together a YouTube video if interested.

I have taken 3 of them apart. All three of them were extremely clean on the inside. I don’t think I solved anything other than satisfying my curiosity. Next time I doubt I will bother taking it apart. You can just add a few drops of oil to the oil port and likely everything will be fine.

Was it complicated? Yes. But with YouTube and a little patience you can do it.

My understanding is by design they didn’t even use grease in the axle bearings. Everything was just oiled. I did add grease to the axle bearings but nothing else. No grease on the internals. I read some advice about using a synthetic grease on axle bearings and a petroleum oil on the internals. That way the two products don’t melt into on another. Or maybe it was synthetic oil and petro grease.

Important thing is oil and only oil on the internals.

The front wheel is quirky too. Make sure you look that up. I put together a YouTube video if interested.
oh thank you thank you thank you. I'd have made a mess of it. Great to know. Will peep the vid.

Word. According to kurtkaminer your seatpost sticker and lack of attached cable guides on the frame tubes indicates yours a 73, mine a 74.

Latest posts

Back