Swagger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have yet to actually complete any bike I enter in build-off. Hopefully that will change here. :wink:

huffyframe.jpg

My last roommate Cindy works in an autobody shop. Some guy who quit years ago started to make a lowrider out of this Huffy cantiliever frame but left it half finished. After all that time it spent gathering dust in a lonely corner, she told her boss I like working on old bikes..... and was basically forced to bring it home and out of the shop for good.

The first step is to get rid of that metric buttload of body filler. After that, my plan is a thoroughly abused, assaulted, and grimy barn-fresh patina on the frame complemented by chrome EVERYTHING. I'm still debating between 24x3 flame tread or 26x2.5 slicks.

sweet the body shop guy got a pretty good flowing line on those panels. 24x3!24x3! yayayah! 24! they look so goood and we can battle the 24s

Today after lots of work with a ball peen hammer, vice grips, and wire brush I finally got all the filler off. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to shoot some primer and maybe the basecoat.

I've been thinking about it, and I want to go with 26x2.2 Bontrager slicks for this. The next build I'm planning will get the 24x3 Kenda Flames I've been sitting on.

Are you sure that's a Huffy? Kickstand housing looks like Schwinn

It has "HUFFY" stamped right on the bottom bracket

I got started on the paint this morning.The "factory" color is a satin midnight blue over gray primer.

primerb.jpg
bluegrg.jpg

bluecloseupe.jpg

In a couple of days, the abuse starts
14.gif
. To get as much "authentic" paint chips and scuffs as possible, I'm going to be throwing it into this section of gravel many, many times.
gravelf.jpg

Then when it has just the right amount of distress, I'm slathering on a thick coat of of this:
greencan.jpg

Nice... Already lookin like a winner. How much did all that Bondo weigh?

It must have been close to five pounds at least.

I hope you guys enjoyed that shiny blue while it lasted
3.gif

patina1.jpg

patina2.jpg

patina3.jpg

There has been zero time to work on this lately, but there is a little thing I need help with. I want to use a triple-tree fork for this. Instead of dealing with the pretentious Seattle LBS's or going through the added cost/hassle of online shopping, I was thinking of pulling one off of a new Sting Ray or WCC chopper. That is, if a decent-priced one lists on CL anywhere close to me. Is that going to work in the first place? I'm betting it will need new bearing cups but other than that I'm hoping it would just drop in.

Nice beating on that thing :mrgreen: .I know u can use the occ chopper forks.We put some on one of my buddies trike.Don't recall all the details as the inspiration was Guinness induced,but you may have to trim some of the pipes.The plates slide up and down so you can set the ride height,cut off excess,and re-install threadless things.I don't remember everything :oops: but I know you could figure it out with one in your hands.Can't wait to see your ride. :mrgreen:

That blue was nice but the sanded look is cool especially with some custom house paint.

Back