Swingrat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the new fork using bearings and caps, a nut won't even thread on. They won't work.
View attachment 232993

This fork also had no crown race, and all I had were loo large and didn't sit flush. This fork was doomed from the start.
View attachment 232994

It's a good thing I didn't cut up any stems to fit the seat.
View attachment 232995

The other fork that was too short may now be the one. I'll have to take some off the top and bottom of the Head tube, but It should have just enough length to work. I have a recessed bearing nut that will help. I can also do like I did with a handlebar stem before, use it seated all the way down to hold the bearing nut instead of a top nut. In this case the seat would keep it from loosening.
View attachment 232996

One thing I didn't show before, how to put two chain wheels on one crank. This is for one piece cranks. Leave off the chain wheel washer and replace it with the second chain wheel. They have to be concave chain wheels to work, facing away from each other. That gives the chain enough clearance. You can't add a washer between them because the tab probably isn't long enough. Check to be sure the tab contacts the inner chain wheel.
View attachment 232997
Ran into the same problem with my fork. Time for a lobotomy! 😂

Lobotomy complete!
I subtracted 16mm total. I also had to cut up a handlebar stem, as nothing else would work in this fork either.
20 May 23 16mm.jpg

It left plenty of room for the fork, I need another washer. But I have 2 Shimano headsets ordered for this bike.
20 May 23 rear fork.jpg

As I mocked it up, there is another problem, but just minor. The rear fork won't allow the chain stay section to rise any higher. The cranks need to be at least 2 inches higher to be level. I may attach the fork separately to the chain stays and have the rear wheel slide in to the dropouts. I'm trying to keep the rear wheel directly under the seat.
20 May 23 mockup.jpg

Love your vision and work so far! A swing bike with ape hangers, that should be quite the experience!

Just wondering, and excuse me if I missed it in the thread; but will the chainstay be stiffened with a piece between the top of the rear fork and the bottom bracket shell?
Can be with anything and if necessary, without welding. With a solid chain, an threaded rod, a lasercut piece.

233273-20-May-23-mockup.jpg

Can't wait for more Wildcat!

Love your vision and work so far! A swing bike with ape hangers, that should be quite the experience!

Just wondering, and excuse me if I missed it in the thread; but will the chainstay be stiffened with a piece between the top of the rear fork and the bottom bracket shell?
Can be with anything and if necessary, without welding. With a solid chain, an threaded rod, a lasercut piece.

View attachment 233125

Can't wait for more Wildcat!
I have some leftover flat bar that will be the supports, almost where you have them placed. I was going for one curved bar all the way to the BB, but I'm leaning toward 2 braces further back, left and right attaching to the stays, like the original swing bike. I'll just have one brace per side.
01 May 23 sbike - Copy.jpg

Are you giving any thought to a return spring for the rear swing like the originals ?
I researched that question. A lot of the home made ones didn't have springs, and some old original ones were ridden without them, so I went to the swing bike page on FB and asked about it. The best answer I got was that it only helped keep the bike straight when parked but was a nuisance otherwise. So, I'm not putting any springs like the original swing bikes.

Last edited:
It was an easy fix for the dropout, I just reversed the fork and there's plenty of space. When I have it lined up, then the braces can be welded, making the angle permanent. The fork will get welded on to the chain stay. Then part of the fork dropout must be cut out so the wheel can slide in, there's no way to spread the dropouts for the rear axle otherwise. The seat is all the way down but the length of the stays gives me plenty of leg room to pedal. The seat is right over the rear wheel also.
21 May 23 config.jpg

As for the braces, I checked the chain line to make sure I kept it clear of anything.
21 May 23 chainline.jpg

The braces will need to be welded on on the outside edge of the chain stay. Each will be about 14 inches long and I will trim them to fit the fork flush along with the chain stay. The welds on the BB don't look that great, so I'm going to have a small plate welded in the reinforce it.

21 May 23 braces.jpg

As for the brakes, with the apes I'll need more than 5 feet of brake cable. The band brake can face upwards so the cable will run up the fork then along the frame to the handlebars.
21 May 23 brake.jpg

Forks say GT. Araya stamped near the valve stem. I don't believe it.:39:

I finished the last of the wire brushing. Paint next for the upper frame. Black to match the seat and handlebars.
I had to get a new drill, the contractors wore out my old one. Over here the contractors don't have tools or supplies. They show up with nothing but an appetite! You are expected to feed them sometime during the day to get the job done. It's all good because you're still not spending half as much as you would anywhere else. I asked one guy if he was certified, they all stopped and laughed. :21:
22 May 23 drill.jpg

"Boss told a joke!"
1684720109494.png

The final welding was done today. Now to clean it all up and paint. I'm hoping the chrome fork still looks good where the braces were welded on. The forks, front and rear, will be chrome, along with the wheels and chainrings. Everything else black.
24 May 23 welding.jpg

Last welding vid:

The final welding was done today. Now to clean it all up and paint. I'm hoping the chrome fork still looks good where the braces were welded on. The forks, front and rear, will be chrome, along with the wheels and chainrings. Everything else black.
View attachment 233766

Last welding vid:
View attachment 233767
Interesting to see that people weld on the ground instead on a table.

Progress looking solid!

Oh btw: I saw a similar bike like yours (shapewise) in a book my daughter was reading:

20230523_171647.jpg

Schwing! :grin:

That IS a swing bike! Guess I'll wear a helmet too! :21: This Dr. Suess bike looks like a swing bike, only a triple!
1684911700656.png

I set up a table with everything ready to go for welding previously, but most of the welders here are used to working on the floor. I keep that piece of wood just for welding now.

It just needed a little trimming and wire brushing and it was ready for paint. The burn marks around the welds cleaned up where the chrome pretty well. I did the first coat of black. That covered everything well, but I'll do a second coat and then clear coat tomorrow.
24 May 23 paint.jpg

Where I trimmed part of the fork dropouts may be a problem seating the rear wheel but I'll address that when I get there.

While finishing up the paint, I wanted to give it an insert of some kind, maybe the number 18, and remembered the 2 stickers that were given out to be a supporter. I think I can mount them each on a thin piece of wood and attach them either side of the bars.
25 May 23 inserts.jpg

I have another pair of apes that I'll look at as I put it together.
25 May 23 apes.jpg

The stem on the chrome bars is too flimsy to trust, and there aren't any I can find here any better, so the black apes will do.
I started to assemble the bike, the front end was no problem, the new headsets work better than the cheap stuff I had saved up.
Then a problem. When I set up the rear for welding, I made a mistake. The fork legs were supposed to be on the outside and the chain stay dropouts inside so everything would have clearance. Somehow they got reversed, so the rear axle , cog and brake housing don't fit. I'll have to cut out a portion of the fork ends.
25 May 23 goof.jpg

I had to wait until 8 am to start making noise with the grinder, so I checked out other parts. The front wheel has very cheap bearings, it growls when turning even after resetting it. The chrome is poor also, so I tried a better 20" wheel, black alloy with a skinnier tire. I can add a band brake to it if I want.
26 May 23 front wheels.jpg

I made some cuts to fit the rear wheel. I didn't make them too large, figuring I could take off metal little by little so I wouldn't have to start over.
The wheel fit fine the first time! Then I added a centerstand that I had shortened before and it also works as is.
26 May 23 kickstand.jpg

It's going together fairly well. Tomorrow I'll drill the hole for the lockpin and see how that works out. Then brakes and the chain with a tensioner. I put the larger chain wheel on the outside because of the chain line, it lines up better.

26 May 23 mockup.jpg

Latest posts

Back