Swingrat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the parts are here except the tail light(s).

I like the center stand much better, it folds both legs to the side.
09 Jun 23 kickstand.jpg

The brake needs some work. I have to make up a bracket to attach the adapter to the fork. Or possibly have it welded. I still have a couple dozen welding rods from the last job: "Do I need to buy the welding rods? They thought I made another joke and laughed!".:rofl:

09 Jun 23 brake.jpg

After trying to fit the disc brake adapter, I tried a better brake lever with the band brake. More pull. Success, it's good!
This bike is ready to ride and might be finished, a test ride will tell. A test ride will have to wait. It's too hot already at 10am, humidity is near 100% after some rain last night.
10 Jun 23 done.jpg

For those who haven't seen band brakes, here's a demo"

I've got it upstairs but rainy season has emerged so it's solid rain for at least a couple of days. I can't really test it fully, especially in swing mode on these hilly streets. But it's compact enough to put on the bike rack and go the the Freeport Zone to ride. There's a long one way street with a lane for walkers and riders along the restaurants and resorts. Nice and flat. It's the Subic Boardwalk.
11 Jun 23 ready.jpg

1686450440562.png

There was a break in the rain this morning so I finally got a test ride done. I didn't use swing mode, as there's a 12 foot drop off next to the road on the right and everywhere else is hilly. I'm done with this build except for riding.

After trying to fit the disc brake adapter, I tried a better brake lever with the band brake. More pull. Success, it's good!
This bike is ready to ride and might be finished, a test ride will tell. A test ride will have to wait. It's too hot already at 10am, humidity is near 100% after some rain last night.
View attachment 236104

For those who haven't seen band brakes, here's a demo"
View attachment 236105
SILENT! Swing bike? STEALTH bike!

There was a break in the rain this morning so I finally got a test ride done. I didn't use swing mode, as there's a 12 foot drop off next to the road on the right and everywhere else is hilly. I'm done with this build except for riding.

View attachment 236578
Bike fits you great! -I’m not sure it would have fit with the original, larger wheels.

I've got it upstairs but rainy season has emerged so it's solid rain for at least a couple of days. I can't really test it fully, especially in swing mode on these hilly streets. But it's compact enough to put on the bike rack and go the the Freeport Zone to ride. There's a long one way street with a lane for walkers and riders along the restaurants and resorts. Nice and flat. It's the Subic Boardwalk.
View attachment 236266

View attachment 236267
What a beautiful town. An acquaintance from church I met lives there part of the time and has shown me some photos. Another person I know is moving to the Philippines upon retirement.

The Carriers I served on both stopped in the Philippines. Back then we had a Navy base, shipyard, and Air base all in one big area. After my first ship, I managed to get stationed here for a couple years, at Cubi Point Air station. It was great! I planned on retiring here ever since then, and here I am. It's working out very well.
1686999895797.png

The bike has a little swing even with the pin in.

I thought the pedals were a little low, so I added flanges to get a little height.
20 Jun 23 fork.jpg
20 Jun 23 flanges.jpg

That helped with the pedal clearance. Then I went for a ride and noticed the pedals were lower when I got back.
20 Jun 23 ride1.jpg

I looked it over and see the problem. There is too much leverage on the rear fork from the cranks, especially when pushing on the pedals. It is bending the rear fork backwards, which lowers the cranks. The support with the pin was flush with the frame at first. These are heavy forks to boot, so I don't see how to correct it.

20 jun 23 fork bend.jpg

I wonder why the original swingbikes didn't have this problem? Strong fork or the brace is higher up on the rear fork.
1687240179239.png

The bend is right after the upper brace. Maybe it should be higher.
20 jun 23 fork bend.jpg

Here's one idea that might work. I'll have to get some pipe and try to see how it fits.:
1687240112288.png

I agree on the sissy bar taking some of the load.
I've already added a bunch of stuff to this bike, so it isn't looking good for completion. I may go a whole different route.

The other way of making a swing bike is to use a rear triangle from another bike. I did a search and wound up back here. This old thread shows a bunch of different styles and I have a couple of 24" rear sections of frames in the parts pile. There's also a lot of fork pieces to use. I'll lay out a bunch of things and see if I can use the existing front section with one of the triangles. It won't be compact but should work.
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/swing-bike-gallery.31549/

The other way of making a swing bike is to use a rear triangle from another bike. I did a search and wound up back here. This old thread shows a bunch of different styles and I have a couple of 24" rear sections of frames in the parts pile. There's also a lot of fork pieces to use. I'll lay out a bunch of things and see if I can use the existing front section with one of the triangles. It won't be compact but should work.
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/swing-bike-gallery.31549/
That gallery was what kicked me into the swing bike wormhole... Loads of inspiration!

I dug out the parts and laid them out, using the tiles as a straight edge. There is too much angle difference where the hinge would be. I tried it with a 24" wheel and still see a problem. On top of that, it would be over 80" long, too long to take anywhere to ride.
21 Jun 23 20 inch.jpg

21 Jun 23 24 inch.jpg

So that's it for this build. I need a smaller bike to carry around so some of these parts are going to another build right away. I'm redoing an old build, Bulldog. The whole front end, handlebars, seat and the wheels are going there. I'm not modifying the frame, so it won't be in the build off, I already have the 1901 Mixte entered in class one.

I dug out the parts and laid them out, using the tiles as a straight edge. There is too much angle difference where the hinge would be. I tried it with a 24" wheel and still see a problem. On top of that, it would be over 80" long, too long to take anywhere to ride.
View attachment 237735
View attachment 237736

So that's it for this build. I need a smaller bike to carry around so some of these parts are going to another build right away. I'm redoing an old build, Bulldog. The whole front end, handlebars, seat and the wheels are going there. I'm not modifying the frame, so it won't be in the build off, I already have the 1901 Mixte entered in class one.
Sorry to hear this build didn't pan out like you hoped. With any luck, you'll be able to revisit it again soon and build it the way you like. At least you learned something from the experience, and you can still make use of the parts on your other bikes. Best of luck to you on your future projects!

Latest posts

Back