Taco Express 30 minutes or less!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to a cool and wacky build as always. Your ideas and execution are always great to follow.

I'll be building something more compact.
I want to cruise the street with it and keep up with the club.
Some storage under the cooler for a grill...
paint1.jpg

Maybe throw another BB on 6-8 inches forward, splay the front wheels in a bit at the top, derailleur rear end
AND if I can just fit a flip up tabletop without looking to clunky. I've got an aero style idea...

Last edited:
Pretty sweet idea for a bike build! Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
How's about a tabletop created to look like a rear fin that hinges on a rear book rack.
Vertical fin (maybe even a backrest...), folds down flat for a work surface.

I'd love to have one of those. But no, small quick picnic n' split. CanAm style...

As far as the tabletop fin, picture this, maybe a 30" tall fin like the tailfin on an aeroplane, just the vertical part. Now about a 3rd of the way up a hinge connecting it to a book rack. So that when it folds over, it lies across the book rack (probably need a swing down leg to rest on too)
paint2.jpg

Just a couple thoughts on this drawing...front of the frame needs to come up a bit more to get the center bar level AND the bottom of the fin lines up with or is at least parallel to the center bar. I've got a repo chrome 9 hole Schwinn style book rack perfect for this. Next Sunday (the 28th) is the Chicago Taildraggers Tamale Ride. I wonder if I can have a roller by then?

Last edited:
Nice. Just a working title/theme...
The Burrito Bomber may end up being more accurate. I'm beginning to visualize little nubby wings about the height of the bottom of the cooler. I haven't sparked a weld or cut a tube yet and it's evolving...

I'd love to have one of those. But no, small quick picnic n' split. CanAm style...

As far as the tabletop fin, picture this, maybe a 30" tall fin like the tailfin on an aeroplane, just the vertical part. Now about a 3rd of the way up a hinge connecting it to a book rack. So that when it folds over, it lies across the book rack (probably need a swing down leg to rest on too)
View attachment 232884
Just a couple thoughts on this drawing...front of the frame needs to come up a bit more to get the center bar level AND the bottom of the fin lines up with or is at least parallel to the center bar. I've got a repo chrome 9 hole Schwinn style book rack perfect for this. Next Sunday (the 28th) is the Chicago Taildraggers Tamale Ride. I wonder if I can have a roller by then?
I like 'Taco Taxi', and for the table you could do a drop-leaf instead. That way, when both leaves are down it frames out the back like pannier bags, and you can still use it as a rack. You could even mount a condiment rack in the center, and then each leaf can be folded up for dining on both sides. Just a thought.

A tabletop up front hinged with hatchback struts might be cool too. We'll see as it goes along...
I actually made the basic frame for the bottom of the cooler with the last of the 3/4 angle iron I had. 3/4 fit the lip around the bottom perfect.
IMG_20230519_224510516.jpg

I also mounted some tires.
IMG_20230519_224515352.jpg
IMG_20230519_224521824.jpg
I stripped the paint on one front rim a while back, so I probably should strip the other on too. Next is pick up some tubing and some wire...
IMG_20230519_224532772.jpg

Dirty welds done dirt cheap. Adequate for stitching together bits and pieces.

Mike Brittan built a fun front trike using one of those metal cage plastic totes for the front box a few years back.

View attachment 232781

Now I know my "cart" won't be this big but the wheel spacing and the vertical steering could be very similar. I wonder how well this beast handled? @kingfish254 is there a link to this build available? I'm scribbling "scale" drawings on graph paper now to figure how much steel I need and I'm at the point to where I decide if I want the front wheels well forward, which would look cool or further back which I think would turn better/easier. Tougher steering would probably be more stable at any kind of speed. But I wonder if there's any notes on this build's handling?

Fun thing, I used paint.net to turn a photograph into the B&W drawing posted earlier. I then loaded that into my tablet and resized it to a rough graph paper scale and traced it. Old school and bulky but it worked.
IMG_20230521_194816319~2.jpg

And I'm out of wire. Ha it's like hot glue for steel with the little wire feeder from Harbor Freight but you gotta let it burn in cuz it won't do anything thicker than bike tubing. Even so I've got sleeves inside and out on these joints. So with my primitive plumb bob and my cardboard square it'll be fine... Really it will ...

And I'm out of wire. Ha it's like hot glue for steel with the little wire feeder from Harbor Freight but you gotta let it burn in cuz it won't do anything thicker than bike tubing. Even so I've got sleeves inside and out on these joints. So with my primitive plumb bob and my cardboard square it'll be fine... Really it will ...
I lose my stuff all the time. Seems to vanish sometimes. I've got three plumb bobs that I haven't seen for years. Last time I needed one it was a string and a 1/2 inch threaded square nut.

Latest posts

Back