ORBO Tail Gunner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fairing is super cool, as a kid I would have been so stoked to have something like that.
In my experience a rear fender on the bike, or at least a wide rectangle of plastic attached to the down tube of the tailgunner are a good idea to keep the passenger from eating too much gravel.
I have a set of fat tire fenders on the way and I'm planning on a shield for the down tub as well. I'll figure that out after I get the fenders on the bike.

So I got this shipped to me yesterday. And have it on my stand and half apart to just clean it up and repack everything. It will be converted to my new daily ride so I can work on the Trek for the build. It's usually Unnecessarily difficult and generally a huge waste of time since anything you do to it has to be completed before you have to get to work etc. So this 1999 Specialized Hard Rock Comp FS will be set up to remove that burden from the Trek's proverbial shoulders.
Screenshot_20240208-144005.png

Right off the bat I find a possible issue. This outer chain ring has several teeth worn way down or previous brakes that were reworked. So far don't seem to effect the chain, will see once it's under load.

Attachments

• IMG_20240207_232853198~2.jpg
    IMG_20240207_232853198~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The front half is almost complete, just have fender work, tire swap and some adjustments on the rear disc brake caliper mount. The back half is getting stripped down this evening and prepped for paint later this week.

Do you think a Rock-Ring would'a helped?
Hard to say, I got the bike in that condition. I'm betting poor or zero maintenance for the life of the bike until I got it. The kickstand was duct taped to the frame, seat was completely duct taped and the amount of dirt and dust caked WD-40 suggested the chain was probably binding up on the teeth and most of the plastic chaingard ring was missing as well. And both derailers were out of adjustment. But it was free. (Sort of). Lol. The only original part's are the frame and the bottom bracket. I've replaced everything else over the last 4 months.

I mocked the tail back up with the rear suspension in place. I was able to replace the 20" wheel with a 26" wheel and the V-brakes will work on the suspension stays. Found an old sidewalk bike mock tank convertible bar that fit and perfectly continues the added suspension stays line. I needed to hook everything together so I can measure the brake cable run from the front handlebars to the rear trailer brakes and figure out a way to disconnect that cable when I separate the 2. Then I can pull it apart and paint it and get all the fenders installed and tires replaced etc.
IMG_20240327_104153164.jpg
IMG_20240327_104200349.jpg

Latest posts

Back