Take the sprocket off or leave it alone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

New to the forum and to the whole bike scene. I have an issue that may be up for some debate. I just picked up a 1965-66, I think (haven't looked up yet) Schwinn Tornado. Pretty original from the pictures I've googled but that's besides the point.

I'm in the process of cleaning all the chrome and have the crank apart. I want to take the sprocket off to clean the right side of the crank. I have a buddy that knows way more about bikes than me and he said don't take it off. I was like why it's just one big nut? But, he said just leave it alone you won't be able to get it back on. Is there anything to this? It seems like it'd be easy to me but I'm new.

Thanks

itll come off and go back on just fine. Watch for any spacers, and put them back where they go...normal threads on the "sprocket nut"/cone(lefty,loosey...)

it ll come off and go back on like MarkM said, i usually end up clamping the nut in a vise and sinching it down that way, usually my BIG adjustable wrench has walked off when i need it. you should be able to clean it up just fine without taking it off, but its easier to clean EVERYTHING when its apart.

Agreed, it's ok to remove it. Maybe your friend had one get cross threaded. I have a fairly easy way to get that nut loose if it won't come off. The nut has flat edges that will fit right into the jaws of a bench vice. (I see I'm not the only one with that idea). The threads are right handed, so just clamp the jaws on the flat sides of the nut and give the cranks a turn.

25r0zcx.jpg

Thanks guys, that answers it. I don't know why he was so adamant about not taking it off. I think I'll try and clean it with it on there... then I won't have to try and find a bigger wrench. :D

Latest posts

Back