Tank Repair

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I took the tank off of my x-53 I noticed that there are some tiny pin holes in the bottom of the tank.. Only 4 or 5 but I want to repair them. How can I repair the tank and fill the holes?

6879488118_ec04d98a77_z.jpg

I guess it all depends what tools you have at your disposal. If you planning on keeping the chrome some welding might be involved. If not i don't see why they can't be filled with body filler. I'm no expert but just my two cents.

Carefully grind the inside where the pinholes are down to bare metal. Coat the inside with some good 2 part epoxy. If you get some black epoxy you won't see the pinholes from the outside. After the epoxy dries you can fill the holes from the outside with Bondo or spot putty before you paint. Gary

mask the chrome on the outside. Clean the inside, and put in Bondo, or TigerHair. Let dry. remove tape. Its fixed, and no putty on the outside to look bad.

welding is out of you want to preserve the chrome. Id suggest to do a mix of the above, id use masking tape on the face of tank and burnish it on good and clean so it acts as a moat/mold id use either epoxy or pc7 / jb weld from back side. personally, id just use jb, clean the inside of loose rust and a little scuff. mix the jb put it on from inside, wait for it to start to kick and slice off excess with a razor blade and be done. jp will be lest noticeable, and bondo or kitty can and will pop, plus bright colors. they sell that aluminized repair putty at all hardware stores.

Latest posts

Back