tarnishing brass

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
anyone have good ideas on how to tarnish brass( i know oils from skin will but im looking for something alittle faster)........
need it to be black not green or brown

thanks!

hmmmmmm.......might have to try that. lemon juice didnt work(it started striping what little paint was on there so i stopped.tried amonia and water didnt seem to work either.tried salt water did alittle but not enough for what im looking for)
im guessing neutral flame and about how far away?

okay......got one of those at work
yeah i tried googling before but everything i could find didnt work(dunno about the tarnishing solutions.cant find any here :roll: )
thanks for the tip!

lol!!! thats what my father in law said! im sure it probably would but i just cant bring myself to uhm.... you know......on part of my bike! think thatd bring some bad juju down on me on rides :roll: (or maybe i just dont wanna get my hands dirty :wink: )

MagicRat said:
As bad as this sounds...urine would probably tarnish brass pretty quick.
he said he tried the ammonia and water and it didn't work...maybe more ammonia??? (so you don't have to pee on it!).

i've had pretty good luck with a product called Sophisticated Finishes that i've purchased at craft stores.

Okay, the "proper" way to do it is with liver of sulpher. But most people don't have access to it. Vinegar should tarnish it just fine, but I've never used it on brass so I'm not sure what color it will turn. Salt and vinegar really does the trick, especially if you heat it with your torch as you go. Also, if you want a really good patina you should make sure your metal is really clean. You may be having a problem because often times brass parts are packaged with a protective coating that prevents tarnishing. Hope this helps!

Back