The 12 Year Project- Bare Bones, Bare Metal & Barely In the Finished Thread!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ef755343b571ed162ecb72758420f90f.jpg

Some of the paint has worn off over a year yellow is showing some now
b2dbb48639e7392afd6e8591b9093c84.jpg

Something like this . I masked off the tire & rim after it was mounted & aired up and just sprayed the letters not the whole tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ef755343b571ed162ecb72758420f90f.jpg

Some of the paint has worn off over a year yellow is showing some now
b2dbb48639e7392afd6e8591b9093c84.jpg

Something like this . I masked off the tire & rim after it was mounted & aired up and just sprayed the letters not the whole tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, gotcha!

Finally back at it. I know a lot of you guys liked the rust patina on the parts, but I had other ideas. I already have a rusty 30s Shelby that I ride daily. I started out with wd40 and red scotch brite and made a big mess for a couple hours. Then just for fun and a little protection I went over the frame with 0000 steel wool and metal polish. I love that the brass brazing is all over the place on this frame instead of just in the joints. I plan to play off of that with some of the other aspects of the build. Now to catch the bars, forks and seat post up to the frame!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I also have some parts coming in! This stem is pre-war Monark according to the ad for cross bar handlebars without the flat spot. Someone on here is using a set on their build, actually. It was relatively cheap since it has some brazing on it, presumably from a hairline crack. Hopefully I can find some better bolts for it.
image.jpeg
Got these rusty dog leg cranks. Stamped 48 and that's all I know, lol.
image.jpeg
Found this solid skip tooth chain ring and had to have it. Matches the rusty faded chrome on the rest of the bike.
image.jpeg
And my favorite new part- the Elgin rear hub! Love the finned barrel and the drilled cog. Does anyone have a front one to match???

I don't know how I missed this build! Wish I had seen it sooner, I might have helped you out with ID'ing your Shelby. I've got a Shelby Flying Cloud motorbike with the badge still on it.
TOC PEE WEE 003_zpsxqpdcegt.JPG

I don't know how I missed this build! Wish I had seen it sooner, I might have helped you out with ID'ing your Shelby. I've got a Shelby Flying Cloud motorbike with the badge still on it. View attachment 28996
That looks like the one! I think I'm going to go with either a flying cloud or a Cadillac badge on it. Maybe someday I'll find a tank or chain guard for it!

image.jpeg
So I've been house/dog sitting for some friends in their McMansion for the last week. PITA but the pool and AC are nice. Brought a bunch of bike parts to try and make some progress but not much happening. Last year I missed the deadline by a half hour; that's not happening this year, although there are a few things I wanted to do that there's no way I'll have time for at this point. I got all the bare metal parts prepped and ready. They match well since they all sat around and rusted together in my garage!

image.jpeg
Most of the stuff I do is pretty subtle. No over the top contrasting colors for me (although my lady does ride a Maybelline inspired 58 Schwinn (pink with lime green wheels) and I have built a Denver Broncos bike for a friend). For this bike I wanted to play off of the brazing that was all over the frame so I bought a couple different cans and tested some parts. The brass in a can looked hokey IMO so I settled with the more subtle champagne color.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting rid of the printed logos and writing on tires like this or any for that matter?

I recently tackled a Maxxis Miracle tire with wet sanding paper, to get rid of the blue logo that was pretty well incorporated with the tire.
Fortunately, it vas a small rectangle, so it came off rather fast and pretty painless for the tire.

But, be carefull, you don't want to sand of too much.

I recently tackled a Maxxis Miracle tire with wet sanding paper, to get rid of the blue logo that was pretty well incorporated with the tire.
Fortunately, it vas a small rectangle, so it came off rather fast and pretty painless for the tire.

But, be carefull, you don't want to sand of too much.
Interesting. I'm all over the place with my choice of tires at the moment. I have the most ...... tires ever for it but they just won't fit in this frame. So with those out of the picture I have to decide. I always end up running the brickyard Schwinn style because they're clean and simple. But I really like the slicky Gs. All except the flame graphics running along the sides!

Latest posts

Back