The 1901 Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't think there's a Mixte in the build off, and I've got the time to put this together. This is a late 80's Mixte I've had, one of the unused old frames from junk I picked up a few years ago. From 1987, it may be a Miyata or a Nishiki. No markings except the serial number.
All that I have is the frame. Everything else is newer Chinese parts. It's made for 27" wheels, but has a 26" fork. I may change it out to 27" or 700C. I can get more selection tires in 700C, but as a hundred year old bike, plain black tires are what it should have, and it should have a more traditional fork.

08 Jun 23 Mixte.jpg

I am going to make it a replica of an old bike. Like The Wright Special I did previously, it will look like a hundred year old bike.
08 Jan 23 g - Copy.jpg

My plan right now is bare metal with copper accents, faux wood rims and handlebars, cottered crankset and one speed rear hub. I might do the faux skip tooth on the chain wheel also.
08 Jun 23 parts.jpg

I did some reseach on the mixte bike. In 1901, there was a Mixte style frame diagram, maybe for a patent application. I've read about it but can't find a pic.

"Appearing in design sketches as early as 1901, these uniquely beautiful and stable frames proliferated in Europe throughout the 20th century, with notable models produced by French manufacturers Rene Herse and Peugeot after WWII."

This bike will be a copy of a 1901 Mixte that might have been.
The plan is to wire brush the frame to bare metal, paint and re-lace the rims or new rims with a coaster hub, add painted handlebars and a cottered crankset. The chain wheel already has some copper. I may highlight the lugs with gold or copper paint.

I'm not wasting any time. I ordered 27" rims and spokes, along with tires and tubes. I found some 27 x 1 3/8ths tires, just what I wanted. Plain black tires. 1 1/4 is a little too skinny for me. The rims are cheap but will work well as fake wood rims. I also ordered a 27" fork that is an older lightweight style that should work well. Everything was just about 39 dollars. That might be the total cost of this build. I have everything else.
1686224276961.png

I like your ideas for this. Hopefully there will be some 'bamboo-zeling' going on too! :grin:

27×1-3/8" tires, and a fork for $39???
I was pricing the same size tires for a mixte I am working on and couldn't find anything for much less than $50 a pair. I resorted to a set of 700c wheels with decent tires I had laying around.

This build is going to be interesting.

27×1-3/8" tires, and a fork for $39???
I was pricing the same size tires for a mixte I am working on and couldn't find anything for much less than $50 a pair. I resorted to a set of 700c wheels with decent tires I had laying around.

This build is going to be interesting.
That's rims and spokes and inner tubes too.

Ooof I tried to find a 1900s mixte picture with no luck, but I did find this 1953 Follis 650B. View attachment 235938
Anyhow, I like the frame style, like the possible manufacturers mentioned for your frame, and like your builds. Can't wait to see where this one goes
The oldest I could find is a 1947.
1686260782192.png

From the 47 catalog:
1686260870141.png

I looked at a webpage with most of the brands from that era, mostly made in Taiwan but Japan still was making frames. It IDed them by the style of serial number, but it was too complicated to make heads or tails from. Anyone know how to decipher a serial number for these 80's lightweights?
mixteserial - Copy.JPG

I was offered one of these mixte bikes a while back and I turned it down because I felt the owner wanted too much money. But they’re interesting frames, and I could definitely see myself using one as material for a custom.

I was offered one of these mixte bikes a while back and I turned it down because I felt the owner wanted too much money. But they’re interesting frames, and I could definitely see myself using one as material for a custom.
You could chop it and have a trials bike easily.
1686285240622.png

I've always thought the mixte frames were cool and also a good base for some customs. Looking forward to you using the Wayback Machine with Mr. Peabody.

mr-peabody-sherman-1960s.jpg

I found a brand new cottered BB in my parts pile! I also laid out some other stuff, old pedals with copper strips to get put together and got the hubs ready to lace up. My spokes and tires are due to arrive today, no rims yet.
I checked the gear inches, with a 52/18 setup, this will have a 79 gear. This thing will fly! Good thing the cranks are 175mm.

11 Jun 23 Mixte parts.jpg

Last edited:
I like the sound of the direction you are going...
I have a ole frame like this, I have chopped it in a few places:oops:.

I found a brand new cottered BB in my parts pile! I also laid out some other stuff, old pedals with copper strips to get put together and got the hubs ready to lace up. My spokes and tires are due to arrive today, no rims yet.
I checked the gear inches, with a 52/18 setup, this will have a 79 gear. This thing will fly! Good thing the cranks are 175mm.

View attachment 236282
Are cottered cranks still available in the Philippines? I know india still uses them

Tmar at bike forums has the best serial number guide for Asian bikes. it's really intended for figuring out what year a known brand is, not so good for determining the brand. Post your bb photo and side shot of the bike there and they may decode it for you.

I see the red frame has a forged rear dropout with hanger so it's likely a better model. Probably cromo tubes. That would eliminate many brands that just didn't offer mixtis in other than base models.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html

I looked at a webpage with most of the brands from that era, mostly made in Taiwan but Japan still was making frames. It IDed them by the style of serial number, but it was too complicated to make heads or tails from. Anyone know how to decipher a serial number for these 80's lightweights?

Last edited:
That's the webpage I looked at. I posted there the other day, no response yet, and I can't post pics yet.

That's the webpage I looked at. I posted there the other day, no response yet, and I can't post pics yet.

I posted your two photos there. I think you have to have 5 postings before you can do attachments at bf.

I posted your two photos there. I think you have to have 5 postings before you can do attachments at bf.
I signed up there about 10 years ago, but never posted anything. I need 10 posts to add pics.

I tried the new fork, it's good. I had to add a shim for the bottom race as the fork was too narrow for anything I had. The fork looked too long for the frame so I remeasured to be sure it's a 27" frame and fork.
12 Jun 23 fork.jpg

They are, so now just to wire brush and wait for the rims to show up. The wire brushing is time consuming. The top lug has some pitting but that should fit right in with the build. I've got some metallic copper paint on order that might work well with these lugs.
12 Jun 23 wire.jpg

Latest posts

Back