*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
With much thought, petition, and heartache I have decided to build my beloved 1976 Murray Skybolt for this year's illustrious Rat Rod Bike Build-Off.

Now, why would someone call a mid 70s Murray a "beloved" bike. Right now I'm asking myself the same question, but then I remember the hook. This bike was given to me and through this website within just a short time of posting this "Fresh Find" I learned that this bike is a 1976. That's the hook.

I have older bikes, newer bikes, nicer bikes, crappier bikes, and some bikes more suited for this contest, but this is the only bike I have that is the same age as myself. We are both turning 35 this year, and though I get cleaned up and dressed up almost daily, this bike hasn't had the same good fortune, so 2011 is it's year.

I want to thank RRB.com for making this an open competition. I feel like a man among giants as I build, and though I feel like I'm the one that needs it, I wish everyone luck and happiness during this contest and beyond.

This 76er is going to build this 76er.

As found:
bolt1.jpg

bolt3.jpg

bolt5.jpg

As last seen:
ratted3.jpg

Did you know that in 1976 the United States celebrated it's bicentennial? In celebration they released a special quarter and the Murray Skybolt.

Re: The 76er(s)

Road Master said:
I don't know. 1976 - birth year, Bicentennial? I'm thinking maybe red, white and blue! Let's see what you come up with. Have fun!

you mean red , white and black.. right?? :lol:

Road Master said:
I don't know. 1976 - birth year, Bicentennial? I'm thinking maybe red, white and blue! Let's see what you come up with. Have fun!

The bicentennial and 1976 facts are just a bonus, this won't be a bicentennial build, I'm proud to be an American, but not wanting a flag bike.

Day 1:

OK, so I happened to be lucky enough to discover the forum first and get first post and then stayed up an hour or so later and hit the sack. After church this afternoon I hit up the forum and BAM! Entries everywhere, and what's this? Building, stripping, mock-ups! OH NOES! I'M BEHIND!

I hurried up to the shop and quickly finished the fixed gear and pulled it off the bike stand, then it was back to church (on the fixie, first time... scary). Do church, out to eat with small group, home, kids in bed, wife in bed, BACK TO THE SHOP!

I carried the 76er up the steps and onto the bike stand:
IMG_4102.jpg

This sticker will go away, so I had to get a photo, 08-76, the 76er's 35th birthday will be right at the end of the build-off.
IMG_4103.jpg

Parts:
IMG_4104.jpg

Naked bike:
IMG_4105.jpg

And, since everyone else was mocking up, I thought I'd throw together part of what's been floating around in my head:
IMG_4106.jpg

I've had no luck making any decisions on the bars, just threw on the easiest one and grabbed some grips for the photo.

Time to make paint go away.

Did you know that the Apple Computer company was formed on the 1st of April 1976 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak... their Apple I was released later that month and was selling in Jully for $666.66. Now, 35 years later some of you are looking at a 1976 Murray Skybolt on your Apple devices.

Day 2:

Scribble fish helicopter unicorn...

Sorry... I'm feeling a little... you'll understand in a minute.

Family is in bed, so I went out to the shop and took everything off the frame again and scraped off the 2 almost 35 year old decals on the bike, the Murray headbadge decal and the "made in" decal I pictured earlier.

Time to strip the paint.

I layed out some garbage bags on the shop bathroom floor and layed the frame down and used a paintbrush to spread on the paint stipper paste... man, this stuff barely has any odor, cool!
IMG_4107.jpg

After it was spread thoroughly on all sides of the frame I covered it up with other plastic bags, so if there are any fumes it should trap them in and they can help do the work... do you smell something?
IMG_4108.jpg

OK, now I found this old fireplace hood piece in the shop when I bought the house, this thing is heavy... yeah I definitely smell something?
IMG_4109.jpg

What is this thing made of? Using a wire brush I find it is solid brass (I admit, I had my suspicions, wait up... that's a bad smell.). 3.5 mm thick, cool I can make... something... whoa, does anyone else feel REALLLLY light headed?
IMG_4110.jpg

At this point I realized that "low odor" does not mean "super safe, so use it in an enclosed space Justin." Idiot. I am floating, whoa. I had some point about that big brass thing, but I forgot it. I was lucky to get out of the room and turn the lights off. I guess I'm done working tonight.

I went outside to get some fresh air, wait, just make that: air. And snapped this photo of another Murray USA bike I'm stripping for 1 part:
IMG_4111.jpg

Wow, that stuff is really strong.

Hey, did you know that in 1976 the Academy Award for Best Picture went to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Yeah, kinda fitting tonight I guess, there was probably a bike in that movie and it was probably a... yeah, you get it, I'm kinda high right now, I need to lay down.

i really dig the stem or should i say stems setup. that is brilliant

karfer67 said:
i really dig the stem or should i say stems setup. that is brilliant

Thanks, I had it in my mind, still wasn't sure, once mounted I thought it looked good, don't know if anyone has done it, if not I call dibs on the idea. :D

I'm feeling much better today.

Day 3:

Once again, just a couple late night hours, but before work started I had to rescue a baby rabbit from my cat (this oughta get a few votes):
IMG_4113.jpg

OK, baby rabbit is back at home in the field, time to get to work. Ok, here is the rusty siezed up 1987 Team Murray USA 16" BMX that I just had to have the chainring off of.
IMG_4114.jpg

I never worked so hard for a chainring in my life. I had penetrating oil soaking into the bottom bracket for a couple days. The pedals came off just fine with my Park Tool pedal wrench. I got the first nut off the crank and then the washer. The bearing retainer was so tight I was trying to break it free with a screwdriver and hammer and when I'd strike the screwdriver it would spark and smoke... not good. Ruined a Klein flathead. :x I finally just hammer the screwdriver all around the retainer and destroy the bearing and pull it out around the retainer by hand, at this point I was able to take the crank out from the drive side.
IMG_4116.jpg

Had to use some big tools, but finally got the chainring off, I defy any of you to use a rattier chainring:
IMG_4117.jpg

Put the ring on the crank and slid it back together and wrapped a new chain around it just to see how it will look.
IMG_4118.jpg

Me likey, what do you think? Should be an easy peddler too. I did not grind off the teeth, that is a 1987 "skiptooth." 17 teeth.

I didn't touch the frame today because I'm mad at it. Well, not the frame, but the paint stripper. The same paint stripper that almost killed me did not remove ANY paint. The last remover I used was the Aircraft Remover and that stuff worked great. This crap I used yesterday... nothing. Maybe I'll read the directions and try it again. :oops:

Still plenty to do, for instance, I think I might need to shorten my fork:
IMG_4119.jpg

OK, so it's not a fork yet, wonder what I can do with the leftover tube? :idea:

How about this! Reese Witherspoon was born in 1976, so just like me, she probably never had a 1976 Murray Skybolt growing up, but today her net worth is $80 Million Dollars! Makes me wonder what I've done in the same amount of years since my net worth is about the value of my build... tree fiddy.

Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/4)

Well, at least I now know what that tab behind the seat post is, a reflector mount! I like bikes with a little "spin" to them, that front sprocket should work out well. Good luck with the "triplet", it'll be fun to to see how these 3 turn out, we might even add some more!

That bunny is so adorable I think my head's gonna' explode. :D

I've been looking for the perfect fork idea for a bike of mine, and I believe this is it. I really like that look.

JoKeR63 said:
That bunny is so adorable I think my head's gonna' explode. :D

Just remember that come voting time... it's for the bunny!

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I've been looking for the perfect fork idea for a bike of mine, and I believe this is it. I really like that look.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about it till I mocked it together for that photo.

Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/5)

Day 4:

I hate fenders and chainguards. Those are usually the first items to go when I aquire a bike, in fact, when I got this bike I quickly took off the fenders and chain guards... so why am I putting these items back on? I think I've been hanging around you guys too much.

Here is the stock fender, to get some perspective I threw a whitewall on the wheel for mock ups.
IMG_4120.jpg

Ugly, I know right. So I did some masking and drawing...
IMG_4121.jpg

Then I did some cutting...
IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Front fender... no. I also still really like my little chainring, so I don't wanna hide it, but I found this simple chainguard off an old Sears girl's bike and I think I'm diggin' this one.
IMG_4129.jpg

This guard still exposes plenty of drive gear, so we'll see if I keep it, if I do, I'm not going to leave it alone.

Still lots to do, must mod each part as it gets applied. I wanna make sure I'm building a bike and not just assembling one.

OK, hold onto your rainbow wigs for this one, in 1976 the Grammy for Song of the Year went to "Send in the Clowns" written by Stephen Sondheim. I'm glad I was just an infant because clowns creep me out. I'm glad dozens of clowns fit into tiny cars so I don't have to have any thoughts that one of those clowns being sent in rode in on my Murray Skybolt.

Re: *The 76er(s)* (build update: 5/5)

Hahaha - good stuff!
I don't know what's more fun: your build, or reading your posts! :mrgreen:
...and if you need any input on 1976, don't hesitate to ask someone who was there, and was old enough to remember the details. :wink:

Latest posts

Back